Sulfur hexafluoride gas

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Wato3
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician
School: Cootamundra High School
Suburb: Cootamundra
State/Location: NSW

Sulfur hexafluoride gas

Post by Wato3 »

HELP !!

Has anyone used or heard of Sulfur hexafluoride gas . My head of science wants to see if we can get it but I know nothing about it and cant find it anywhere. Its not listed on 'RiskAssess' and I cant find it in the CSIS. I think it goes into "just another crazy idea" basket :crazy:
DawnR
State/Location: VIC

Re: Sulfur hexafluoride gas

Post by DawnR »

Have a look at chemwatch if you can, it's on there
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Can't give you a supplier but a non refillable lecture bottle cylinder 2" dia and 15" long, 0.5lb (37L)? would cost about $342. (info Flinn Scientific) and the regulator for the bottle if you bought it would cost approx $418. That's if you really want it. Also don't know if that was American dollars.

What was that about the crazy idea basket?????
Wato3
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician
School: Cootamundra High School
Suburb: Cootamundra

Post by Wato3 »

WOW Lyn, I think at that money its definitely going into the crazy idea basket, my budget doesn't stretch that far for a five minute demonstration.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

and why? yes it is a greenhouse gas, and yes it is used in medical field and see other uses . but why on earth would a school need to do it?
Other uses
The United States Navy's Mark 50 torpedo closed Rankine-cycle propulsion system is powered by sulfur hexafluoride in an exothermic reaction with solid lithium.[13]
SF 6 plasma is also used in the semiconductor industry as an etchant. SF 6 breaks down in the plasma into sulfur and fluorine, the fluorine plasma performing the etching.[14]
The magnesium industry uses large amounts of SF 6 as inert gas to fill casting forms.[15]
Pressurize waveguides in high power microwave systems. The gas insulates the waveguide preventing internal arcing.
Has been used in electrostatic loudspeakers because of its high dielectric strength and high molecular weight.[16]
Was used to fill Nike Air bags in all of their shoes from 1992-2006.[17] Used as a filler gas in tennis balls[18]
Feedstock for production of the chemical weapon disulfur decafluoride
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

I know two uses. One is to demonstrate fluids and buoyancy, you fill a glass tank with the gas and since it's heavier than air it stays in the tank and you can float a paper boat on it. The other is that if you breathe it in it makes your voice sound deep, the opposite effect to helium (and even more dangerous as it displaces the air in your lungs and is harder to remove since it's heavier). But at those prices you're better off showing them a YouTube video.