Plastic shot glasses

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville
State/Location: NSW

Plastic shot glasses

Post by Xenon »

2 days after scratching around for 60 suitable containers to weigh out 1g of various stuff for solubility tests, and washing all the 50ml beakers etc. afterwards, I was in the supermarket and noticed the FFP have plastic shot glasses at a throw-away price, $2.65 for 100.
\:D/
Xe, SD, KOPR
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Plastic shot glasses

Post by smiley »

I buy the tiny takeaway sauce containers from Star Packaging (which used to be Daltons). They have lids, so I can measure out tiny amounts, but up to 25mL, so that I can pre-measure little amounts of liquids or powders for Junior experiments. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I buy a carton of 50 ml specimen jars every couple of years. It contains 500 jars for about $180 but they are reused time and time again and if they are beyond washing I just chuck them out.
These are great for all sorts of things.
I have year set (30 jars of each) collection of white powders (salt, sugar, citric acid, bicarb ) that are used in prac test.
They are used as Iron filling shakers with a couple of holes in the lids.
Collection jars for bugs
Jars to rust nail in to save test tubes. Great for corrosion and Shipwrecks in Yr 12 Chem and Year 10 corrosion.
individual measurements of just about anything.
For Junket in Year 11 Maintaining a balance.
Each jar has 0.7gm (1/4 teaspoon) of junket to which they add 50 ml water.
They then use this solution at 1ml to 10 ml of substrate in their pracs.
I just wouldn't be without my specimen jars!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Want a great idea shot glasses, thank you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
CAG
State/Location: VIC

Post by CAG »

We have a Science teacher who is very involved with her church who offerred to collect the used disposable Communion cups for me. She even washes them all before bringing them in. (Bless her.....) They are a wee bit smaller than a shot glass and made of plastic. I find them great for all sorts of uses.
Christine
Lab Tech :coffee:
DET school, Melbourne
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have bought Jelly glasses - plastic - from a local bulk food supplier.. they are a bit larger than shot glasses but brilliant for weighing out chemicals, for small amounts of solutions..
we have used them in place of test tubes in prac exams, where there is no heating required.... you think of it - you can use them.
NOTE re communion glasses... I look after this at our little local Fellowship.. take care because sometimes they leak, there is a little spike on the bottom that if knocked will make a hole in the bottom....