transformers/powerpacks

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: transformers/powerpacks

Post by bigmack »

Harvey , maybe Ocker is referring to separating the PCB from the front panel in a 2633-001.

Here's one I had to repair.
On taking the covers off the first thing that alarmed me was that the insulation card board ( prespahn) was not installed correctly. :club: The way it was positioned provided no protection from the Live Mains switch terminals and the adjacent Low voltage wiring . This struck alarm bells that this had been previously disassembled .
Inspection.jpg
Undoing the four nuts on the back of the Banana sockets allowed the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) to be separated from the Front panel ( I think this is what Ocker was referring to )

This revealed that one of the four bridge rectifier diodes had been previously replaced with a different type to the others ......this is bad practice ....a set of four should be replaced with identical types . :thumbup:

Measuring the forward voltage drop with a multimeter of all four diodes showed that the problem was again one had gone short circuit and was tripping the cut out .

Also evident was that the Over Voltage Protection Zeners had been "snipped out " and not replaced .When driving light bulbs and rheostats these are not needed but they do "clamp" High Back EMF voltages generated by induction coils and solenoids and protect the diodes .Why they had been snipped out and not replaced is a mistory
Previous repairs.jpg
Repairs aren't repairs and some can do them and some shouldn't . ......so if a wire had come off the back of the mains switch and had flicked over and contacted the Low voltage wiring ....how would you explain that .......Just sayin :whistling2:

Repeated diode failure is one thing , potential for lethal accident is another .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harveyradar
State/Location: VIC

Post by harveyradar »

Thanks Richard
I repair many of these each year and the same output bridge PCB mount on the front panel design is across many of the IEC power supply models and also those of the ST907/LY907 range from China. There are a few tricks used by service guys like myself that are not shown to just anybody. For instance we know which of the four diodes is dead before we open the box. So I suppose I'm used to doing a bit more often than most and don't find an issue with the design.

The ST907 range are a bit more tricky to repair as the microprocessor often fails and I have to keep a stock of ones Ive programed on hand. At least IEC provide support where Lianying /Nan Ling simply refuse to supply parts or information.

Harvey
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Post by sunray18 »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - everyone. DO not repair anything electrical UNLESS you are a licenced electrician. Even if it means throwing something out. DO NOT DO IT!
If you do it and something happens - then be prepared to be fined BIG time - nothing and no one can protect you..
is a power pack worth this risk???
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

I agree, Sunray, but it certainly sounds like these people know what they are doing. It's up to them to determine if they are suitable qualified. For the rest of us who are more comfortable with making agar or diluting acids, best leave this stuff alone.
harveyradar
State/Location: VIC

Post by harveyradar »

Just like to point out that an electrical licence qualification is not relevant to most of what has been discussed here. If anyone is looking for suitably qualified people to service transformers/powerpacks/and other pieces of electrical/electronic equipment found in science labs - look for technicians and service personal in the appliance, industrial electronic, audio and video fields.
in small country communities where thee are no such trades think laterally and ask around for a licensed amateur radio operator(ham) they also will often have the knowledge and the training required.

Hope this helps and encourages you all to ask!
Harvey