Beads

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Beads

Post by bindibadgi »

Hiya,

what do you use as your 'organisms' in the Lincoln Index capture-recapture prac?
I usually buy cannelini beans because they're cheap & white, so easy to mark with textas, but after a few classes have used them & marked with different coloured textas I throw them out, & I'm wondering if it would be better to get marbles or glass beads instead. That way I can just wash the texta marks off & use them year after year.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
bindibadgi
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Beads

Post by Ocker »

They are getting rarer these days, but we always used those polystyrene foam beads used for packing round equip.
Rita

Post by Rita »

We use two different coloured straws (green/white) cut to required size (1-2cm).
Have been using the same sets for 6 years with no problems.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

I agree with the straws, been using coloured ones cut to size for a few years now.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

how about coloured matchsticks, they are cheap to buy, already coloured and last for ever
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi All

I have been asked for capture/recapture prac. (We use 6 sets of straws for 6 groups of students.) What numbers/ratio do you use in your sets?

Rita
mikah

Post by mikah »

Hi Rita,
we are doing this too and the set up sheet I was given says two different coloured counters 15:100

I found it all organised and labelled in a box, I have recently inherited a very well organised workplace....feeling lucky
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thank you ..... the numbers of straws are dwindling in each set so I had better top up.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

We use coloured match sticks as well.
Just soak them for 1 min in food colour lay on paper towel over night to dry. I just have a tub of each colour and when I notice getting down just make some more.
Cheap and easy. :D
Cheers Trish