Liquid Nitrogen

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by fibreweb »

Hi All,

My first time so I hope I get it right.

Our Physics teacher has just used precious money to purchase a Super conductivity Kit and now asks me for some liquid Nitrogen so she can actually use it. I have no idea as to where to start sourcing this.

Any suggestions. I'm in Tamworth NSW.

This website is such an incredible asset.

Wendy Browne
PolyEster

Post by PolyEster »

Hi Wendy

Try your local hospital for Liquid Nitrogen or your local University if you have one in Tamworth. Either of these usually will let you have small amounts, either free or for a small charge.

Yours Gayle
Poly Ester
Robb

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Source areas around you for company's like Air Liquide, and Cryogenic Companies.

You will source the liquid N[sub]2[/sub] with a good price tag as the N[sub]2 [/sub]is quite cheap.

Hope this helps,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by rae »

Hi There!!

I have a local supplier so I know that won't help, but I had an idea where you can access it.

My supplier has a frozen cattle semen business. Do you have one of those in your area that may be able to help you?? Surely around Tamworth there would be someone breeding IVF cattle that may be able to help.

Good Luck on your search!!

Lorrae
ri

Liquid nitrogen

Post by ri »

Hello Wendy and welcome to the website. It's great, eh?
We use liquid nitrogen about once a year for dramatic experiments such freezing a banana and using it to hammer a nail into wood as well as in superconductor experiments.
We purchased a Dewars flask, bought second hand from our liquid Nitrogen supplier: Mr Freeze Cryogenics, West Hoxton (a bit far from Tamworth but he may have a contact closer to home for you) 0418 117 445(M).
The 10 litres needed to fill the flask lasts us about 2 weeks and costs about $40.
My may concern for you is that I understand that liquid nitrogen should not be contained. The Dewars flask is especially built to 'burp' and let the nitrogen evaporate naturally. We transfer the gas to the lab in an open thermos flask using long leather gloves as protection.
A look at the MSDS for spills especially onto skin is recommended. Have fun,
~Robyn
Meri

liquid nitrogen

Post by Meri »

Hi Wendy,

I probably could have rung you, but this is more fun!

You can probably get Liquid Nitrogen from CIG in Taminda, have you tried them? Or, our Ag. Dept. uses it for AI. I could proabably ask them for some.
louie

liquid nitrogen problems

Post by louie »

Dear All, I could not get a supply of liquid nitrogen for physics. It was the first time we were going to do the superconductor thing. I tried liquide aire and BOC gases. Boc wouldn't even offer us any training to use it - they thought that if we were only going to use it once a year we would forget what we learnt by next year - however for something like a thousand dollars they would send someone with it and do a risk assessment regarding ventilation in the lab ,PPE engineering controls etc. It was out of our price range!
We have a chemistry teacher here with many years experience in other areas of industrial chemistry and many well qualified staff.
So if anyone out there uses it in the newcastle area I am really interested in your input, see ya Louie
Robb

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by Robb »

Hi Louie,

I have been using the Liquid Nitrogen now for at least 4 years now and I have always built up good relations with our supplier of N[sub]2(l)[/sub].

I have a Risk assessment that I have constructed and is very thorough due to the sub zero temperatures of the N[sub]2[/sub] (-210[sup]o[/sup]C).

This even outlines the need for Thermal Gloves which protects the hands and fingers from the direct contact with the liquid, and to ensure that the PPE is even safer and I have ensured that the Risk Assessment outlines the use of High Cuff Thermal Gloves.

This way it caters for the event of a possible spill or from the decanting process of the Liquid N2 into smaller containers for bench-top demonstrations.

I hope this helps...

Robb.......
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Hi all,

We get liquid nitrogen from the horticulture dept. of local uni.

I want to get the Scientrific superconductor demo; can anyone recommend this or others? Last year we tried to make a Y Ba2 Cu3 O7 superconductor from scratch with limited success (it didn't work).
ri

Liquid nitrogen

Post by ri »

Hello Xenon,
our (YBCO) super conductor didn't last long. :cry: Not sure where it came from anymore but the supplier may have been Scienctrific. The brand is CSI Colorado Superconductor Inc.
It returned from a prac shattered into pieces, I have no idea how it happened.
We tried to play with the largest piece and liquid nitrogen but was not successful in the time we allowed.
Back to bananas and nails for our nitrogen....
Cheers,
~Robyn
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Louie! I can lend you a flask and when I worked at TAFE a mob in Newcastle called cryofreeze drove round in little tanker truck and delivered it on site.
Sorry don't know price!
Let me know if you want to borrow flask and I will bring next Friday.
Graeme
louie

Post by louie »

Hey Ocker, thanks for the offer but the prac will come around again next year . If I can track down the company I will borrow the flask closer to the event . See you friday