PURE WATER.

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
ird
State/Location: QLD

PURE WATER.

Post by ird »

Gday All,

We have to move away from water wasting distillation to produce 200lt per week.

I would like to know what other school labs use to produce PURE WATER plus any recomendations.

Our biggest problems are ALGAE, pH & CHLORINE.

Thanks a million in advance.....IRD

"The best teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary."
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Pure Water

Post by fibreweb »

Due to our water restrictions (level 4) I can no longer distil my water and have taken to purchasing 4 litre bottles of Glendale distilled water from the Automotive section at Big W.

Its about $ 3.50 per bottle. I have stopped rinsing things like burettes with distilled water before I put them away knowing they will be rinsed before use next time. Some junior chemicals are now mixed using tap water in situations where it will not affect the result

Wendy
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I have done the same as Wendy, and my teachers are ok with tap water for everyday solutions, & when it is needed we use bought distilled water.
regard
Lisa
Robb

Water Distillation

Post by Robb »

Hi Lis, Fireweb..

Keep on the look out for Ion Exchange Stills as these use direct water pressure though the ion exchange resins in cartridges. These stills can be found I think in Q-Stores, but if anyone else has a supplier it will certainly help you guys out.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Pure water

Post by fibreweb »

Thanks Robb for the tip about water de-ionisers it has got me thinking and trying to work out how to get one for Oxley.

There are a couple of questions I need to find the answers to though.

Does it give me a similar product to my old still. Neutral water with all the chemicals etc removed?

How long is a cartridge likely to last? One I'm looking at mentions cartridge capasity 10,000 ppm litres but I didn't know how to convert that to actual litres delivered.

The total disolved solids in Tamworth water average between 200-235 would a deionised work with these levels?

I hope you can aswer some of these questions or direct me to where I could find the answers.

Thanks,

Wendy.
Robb

Pure Water

Post by Robb »

Hi Wendy,

The de-ioniser will give a water type identical to the water still, although you will still have some absorptivity of Carbon Dioxide in air that will slightly increase the pH - but this won't be a problem.

As far as Cartridge Life goes, it depends how many times you use it and for how long. Different brands will last different times so it’s hard to answer this question exactly.

Total Dissolved Solids around the limits you have quoted (200-235) won't interfere with your de-ioniser at all.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **