SA lab techs- what is your SSO level?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
AJJK
State/Location: SA

SA lab techs- what is your SSO level?

Post by AJJK »

Hi labbies

I'm a new DECD lab tech hired as an SSO 1 - lab assistant.
I was trained at different sites under experienced lab managers who occupied SSO 2 and 3 positions.
Looking over the DECD job notifications I haven't come across any other lab tech positions at SSO 1- they're all 2's and 3's.
I'm the only lab tech on the site but it's a small school (~400 students)
I have a science degree and 5 months lab tech experience.

Are there other SSO 1's out there? Are you the majority?

I ask because I've been given the task of bringing this site's lab more into line with what I've seen on the other sites (WHS and other). Trouble is, the teachers stonewall and pull rank on me in order to keep things the same. I have to run to the business manager to get anything actioned.

The Lab Managers (note the title difference) that I trained under had more authority to make changes within the lab space. I'm the only lab tech here and have virtually the same responsibilities, just without the authority.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge

Re: SA lab techs- what is your SSO level?

Post by DavidPeterson »

I'm SSO3. I would expect you to be an SSO2. How many students at your school? Are you fulltime (37.5hpw)?
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare

Re: SA lab techs- what is your SSO level?

Post by Jennag »

im a sso2 in a school of about 500 but only working 16 hours a week and the only technician at this site, train by the person who was in the job prior to me. Im not sure there are many from SA on the chemtalk website even though it is a great tool