New in the area!

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Casrp
State/Location: NSW

New in the area!

Post by Casrp »

Hi,

I have recently emigrated to Australia from the Uk with my family. In the UK I worked as a school lab tech, particularly in the biology department (although I have covered all sciences). I'm looking for a similar job here in Australia. Any advice regarding finding a job would be greatly appreciated. In the UK we don't need a specific qualification for the job, I understand you do here, is this correct? What do you all have? However, i do have a degree in chemical engineering and nearly 4 years experience as a lab technician.

I'm located on the central coast (near Gosford) in NSW.

Thanks
Caroline
Narelle01

Re: New in the area!

Post by Narelle01 »

my suggestion is that you get several copies of a letter of introduction, and resume, and drop a copy of it in to all the schools in your area, and asked to be considered for casual work.
Also you can look on the DET web page, thats where they advertise the jobs, and the end of term 1 start of term 2 is ideal - thats when they are employing.
Good luck!
PS i am in a public school, if you want to work in the private system, visit the school and do they same, and then check their websites individually.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

I would say your degree and experience will be enough. When we moved here 5 years ago I had never worked in a school before but had a chemistry degree. I was snapped up pretty quickly when I started applying for school lab jobs. There are laboratory certificates you can do but I wouldn't think you would need to. Whereabouts in Australia are you as the states do all work slightly differently?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I'm about to commit for a Knee replacement operation, and will require 6 weeks off then only a year to retirement
So if you live near Newcastle NSW contact me