Job Description

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Re: Job Description

Post by cactus155 »

And if you want to get to brass tacks, the OHS legislation and training doesn't go through every industry and every possible incident that may or may not occur at a workplace.
It is a good dream for it to be unlawful to work in science without qualification ... in science, but then what would happen in a lot of schools? oh we don't have a Science qualified teacher available to teach Science, oh well lets get rid of science or make the other science qualified teachers work harder, which has been shown to lower concentration which may lead to an increase in the possibilities of accidents at work.

You can only make the best of a bad situation, become involved in the OHS committee at your workplace if they have one, bring up issues with the OHS committee if you don't wish to join that is what they are there for. If you don't have an OHS committee bring up issues with the Prinicpal (who in Tasmania at least is the Responsible Person for OHS in the school workplace). If you are in a Union or even a professional assocation, bring up OHS issues with them. If you don't get any satisfaction from any of the above bring it up with the Education Department or whoever is your employer in independant schools
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Spot on Andrew. Thankfully most of us who are in Science want to be here and have a genuine interest in all aspects of laboratory managment and that is enough to be considered competent. Those who have been placed in a prep room or even classroom but don't want to be there still very much have a reponsibility for safety and knowledge at every step, it's just easier for those of us that love their workplace! No one could ever claim they are above asking questions about something they are unsure. Enrole in a relevant course or ask your associates (Chemtalk!!) for answers. It can only make us better!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

I can think of only one reason for changing Barbara’s job title from Laboratory Assistant to Support Services: to downplay the complexity of her position. Then the powers that be can lump all support staff together under one umbrella with one as-low-as-possible pay scale.

I do not think for one minute that the role of non-laboratory support staff is any less important than ours; however, I believe the complexities, potential dangers and multi-tasking nature of our roles should be rewarded, more appropriately, with a higher classification or grade.

From reading the posts on this site, I believe there is still a view held by Education Departments Australia-wide that anyone can walk in off the street and into a Laboratory role in a school. In schools with multiple technicians it is possible to employ science novices and train them, but it is so much easier for all concerned if the prospective employee has at least some basic science background. Lack of applicants often makes this impossible though.

I don’t know what the answer is because there are so few of us in each school that we don’t have a great deal of clout. Even Australia wide, we aren’t a force to be reckoned with.

But we are a very special group of people, committed to performing an invaluable job under often difficult conditions. Common sense, coupled with the ability to think laterally and turn a ‘sow’s ear into a silk purse’ for ‘a handful of beans’ shows what magicians we are, despite our respective employers’ ongoing antipathy.

Regards
Fran
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Fran.. that thought DID cross my mind. I am now labelled the same as the library grounds office etc staff.
Hmmm
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

It is time that Science Assistants/Technicians in schools had their own Award. Our duties extend far beyond thos of Admin staff - and so does our responsibilities! As many others like me, I am responsible for the stocktake of Chemicals in the whole school - every faculty area and the maintenace and cleaners - which requires me to not only stocktake their chemicals but do all the paperwork with MSDS etc AND then explain to the relevant staff what it all means, how they should store their chemicals and even to how they should and should not use them! Science technicians now need to be trained and competent and really need to be professionals - ie have Certificates or higher in Chemistry, Biology or Metallurgy or associated fields.
At this school we have over almost 1000 students, with 6 labs - 2 are at a distance from the other 4. We have 11 Science teachers (some teach other subjects as well). Each year in Juniors has science at the same time - we have 7 x year 7 Science classes, 7 x year 8 classes, 7 x Year 9 classes and 6 x Year 10 classes. We then have all the Senior subjects as well.Recently my paid hours were increased to 32.5 hours per week. I am the only Science Assitant here. My job also includes all the Science Admin tasks and looking after the photocopiers in the staff room - so I can be called away from my science work at any time to unjam photocopiers.
The Support staff award is due for renewal this year - perhaps we need to all lobby our Unions to see what we can achieve here.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Damn girl! 1000 students and only one Lab Tech! Is there a formula in NSW? Not that I'm claiming things are better anywhere else. It seems that it gets down to the Admin of any school how many Science Aides/Techs/Managers/Officers/dogsbodies there are.

I'd be asking for a part-time assistant at least!

BTW I had to google Booragul to find out where it was, so you see this forum can be educational ina variety of ways! :thumbup:

Cheers, K 8-)
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

8O NO WAY is it your responsibility to organise everyone else's chemicals!! :mad:
You've drawn the short straw here. AS A COURTESY I send around blank stocktake sheets to the other faculties to remind them when it's that time again, but that's as far as I go. They are supposed to do their own.
Unless you've grown a few extra arms and legs, it sounds like you've got enough to take care of. Even in our very small school with two labs and four science/agriculture staff I wouldn't take that on. Sure I have to do other admin tasks, but it sounds like you've become the bunny for the chemical safety stuff in your school. It should the be the responsibility of individual head teachers. NOT YOU!!

Julie
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hello,
Further to the OH&S issues. I agree that common sense plays a big part in working in the science area, adequate training would go a long way to help as well, unfortunately it is up to the individual to get themselves trained. I am like most other labbies though, I really like the science area and would prefer to work here rather than other areas so i found a TAFE course and did the 2 year course which pretty much set me up for the job here when it came up.
I spoke with the guy who is selling the risk assessment package that is spoken about on one of our other threads, I was asking him what his thoughts were regarding RA's for NSW highschool and if we had to have them. He said that the DET isn't above the law so we should have them plus training but it isn't happening. He said that if an accident happens, if it went to court more than likely you would get a pay out for injury and to shut up.
This is reflected on some site I came across which showed the DET fined.
"A WorkCover prosecution has resulted in the Department of Education and Training (DET) being ordered to pay a fine of $105, 000.
A student sustained severe lacerations to his thumb and three fingers when they came into contact with the blade of an unguarded circular saw in an industrial arts room.
In December last year DET was found by the Industrial Relations Commission to have breached section 16(1) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1983."
There were a couple of other fines, one for about $30,000 for a GA that was injured trying to catch a moving tractor (common sense??). There were others, but just shows the DET isn't above the law. It made for interesting reading though. These ones made the papers. I wonder how many other accidents happen and you don't hear about them.
Estelle.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I've had the last 2 days at home, after I slipped & fell heavily on Monday morning, while carrying test-tubes. I was very lucky - no cuts, no broken bones, just badly bruised R knee, elbow & both wrists. Was glad to have 2 slower days at home though - stiff & sore all over, and arthritis flaring up everywhere.
I figured out what happened, and it may be a timely warning. The maintenance fellows were doing the rounds of the school, lubricating doors hinges, etc., and one offered to spray all the runners on my under bench cupboards in my prep room. Made an amazing difference - opened like a dream, and I joked that I'd probably forget over the hols and get thrown across the room as a result of using the previous amount of force required!
I think some of the silicone-based spray overshot the end of my main bench, and I just happened to step on some - very slippery stuff. I didn't have a chance to save myself. Luckily the fellow was still there, and teachers came running. It might have been much worse, particularly if I'd been alone, as I often am.
The topic of my personal safety while alone upstairs, or in storerooms has been raised recently, with the suggestion made by a visiting OHS training group doing site inspections that I should be provided with some kind of personal 'alarm' in case of accidents, so some good may come of this incident, especially if it raises awareness of the isolation & precarious situations many of us face within our work environments.
Anyway, everyone, please take extra care if ever in a similar situation.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

I'm sure they did, and when I figured it out and mentioned it to them their response (and the SAM's also) was "So was it worth it to have cupboards that open easily now?"

The answer is a resounding "Yes!"

Not their fault, was not something forseeable - just one of those random events.

But very scary, and don't want to go through that again, let alone consider what could have happened.

It will all work for good in the long run I'm sure. Meanwhile I haven't pushed myself to get everything done on my list this week, either at home or work, and feel like I'm on holidays already. Will take it easy today, and what doesn't get done, will wait.
Liz

J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Glad to hear you're not TOO badly injured, Liz. :D
And hope you have a truly great Christmas and holiday, ready to come back for more of the same next year (injury-free we hope). [-o< [-o<

Julie
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Julie - and the same to you sweetie, and to everyone on this wonderful wonderful site.
Be happy, have fun, keep well, do lots of good things to treat yourselves, and just enjoy every minute at home!!!!
It'll feel like coming home to log back on next term - can't wait to hear what you've all been doing over the hols!
Blessings to all, and your loved ones ....
Liz

Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Hello I have been asked to write a job analysis by the principal outlining tasks what education I need and have to perform those tasks and what sort of supervision I have etc, he said to just use my job description but I never got one, and as no one else in the school really seems to know i exists let alone what exactly it is that i do, no one else can help me. I vaugley remeber seeing a posting for an attachment of the vic gov school job descritption(I work for independant school) for the lab tech but but can't fine it can someone ponit me in the right direction?
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

Hi
I know im in NSW but if you like I will fax you my list of "offical" duties.Mind you I dont stick to it.
matchstick
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

That would be fantastic the Fax number here is (08) 89830333. I know what I do but officially I dont know what im supose to be doing
Thanks !
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

hope it helps
M
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks, it has helped so much, mainly becasue a lot of the duties I will be expected to perform in future are on it. with only one science lab in operation so far I dont really have alot to do. Thanks again!!!!
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

When the electric guy came here, he wandered around on his own. I think he thought we couldn't hide anything from him if he went looking himself!! He was quite happy to go through the cupboards. I'm sure I would have forgotten something if I had been in charge!
leepy63

Post by leepy63 »

I also have almost 1000 students at my school and I am the only Lab Assistant. As for the chemical stocktake for the whole school I will tell you a funny story.
My last HT came to me one day and asked me to do the whole schools chemical stocktake. When I declined he started to give me the story line that it would be good for my "career" I just laughed at him and said "what career", I can't be promoted, I can be moved to any SAO (School administative officer) position at anytime my hours in Science can be cut at anytime I have no formal qualifications apart from a cert 111 certificate in Science and admin. (Which took 6 actual Tafe days to do)
I love my job but thats what it is a JOB not a career. So I won that round and all other Faculties now do their own areas Chemical stocktake as the Chemwatch package says they should, so they are aware of whats in their areas and how to manage it.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

HI Leepy, Good for you, I do like to read those stories. Some times it is hard to do, stand up I mean. Well Done :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: =D>
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: