meker burner

non-commercial, thanks.
malook
State/Location: NSW

meker burner

Post by malook »

If anyone has a spare functioning Meker burner I would like to obtain one cheaply. I wish to use it in the fume hood to see if it solves a problem
Shas

Re: meker burner

Post by Shas »

that problem wouldn't happen to be that the bunsen gets blown out when the fan of the fume cupboard is on? the flow rate of air in my fume hood was too great for the pressure in the gas line. when i had my fume hood tested last time, the technician solved the problem for me by wrapping 2 sides of the tripod in foil, creating a wind break. (as you would if bbqing on a windy day) not perfect but at least if i'm careful i can use the bunsen in the fume hood.

and because the fume hoods are designend for good, safe operation, the services i.e.gas supply won't work unless the fan's on.

bunsens should be simple things but they sure give me some headaches. specially when the angels drop things down them or spillchemicals down them when they're doing flame tests. :cheesy:

hope you solve your problem
Sharon
malook

Post by malook »

Yes thank you Shaz ,you are correct & I have already put those things into place using the foil baffle etc. I thought the meker burner might simplify things but the budget is tighter than ever with having to buy new text books for the new curriculum, so I am on the scrounge
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

Thanks for this info about the foil on the bunsen burner. I too have the problem of the bunsen flame going out when in the fume hood. I have been putting the bunsen right on the edge of the fume hood and using it. Not the safest method.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I can't remember the last time I used the bunsen burner in the fume hood.
Just wondering what you are doing that it needs to be in the fume hood?
malook

Post by malook »

I'm trying to encourage the teachers to use the bunsen in the fume hood when they burn sulfur, also there a just a couple of clean up jobs I like to use it for- so as long as you centre the bunsen right in the middle of cupboard and have two sides of your tripod covered in foil, then the bunsen works ok
Shas

Post by Shas »

I can't remember the last time I used the bunsen burner in the fume hood.

Hi Fibreweb,
the gas tap in the fume hood is the only one i have in the prep room. sometimes i just go to the next door lab if its' an easy, safe job.