Updated CIS Package???

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar
State/Location: NSW

Updated CIS Package???

Post by MariaQ »

Hi All,

Im just wondering, does anybody know the status of the NSW DET CSIS package? Has it been updated? Im in a NSW AIS school and I want to know so I can get the AIS to chase up the new version if available.

Cheers MariaQ
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Updated CIS Package???

Post by bigmack »

Little bits and pieces seem to be changing in the online version . But all the chemicals seem to remain as they are in the old 20yr old printed copy .

Word is that there won't be a printed copy available .
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi Maria
Might be worth talking to your supervisors about how much weight they want to put on CSIS as I'm not sure if any of the updates are available to independent schools. About the only thing we use from CSIS these days is the coloured dot system and the training codes - but these things have all been adopted by Riskassess. Otherwise, I try to follow the legislation and the training I've had, with a whole lot of common sense!
Happy for you to message me if you have any questions on this.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar

Post by MariaQ »

I agree Merilyn!, I rarely refer to it now, but I have a new part time lab tech and I thought before I show her the old one, Id see if there was a new one! We use Riskassess, Science Assist and any other more up to date info I can lay my hands on. CSIS does however give a good beginners guide to safety in schools and still has some, though limited use. MariaQ
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Good thinking. Yes, it will get a new person out of trouble as long as they avoid the chemical classification section. Disposal of chemicals is also a bit dodgy and I suspect is also long out of date. It is a shame that it has been forgotten about for so long as it could be a good resource for new labbies.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I think, I might be wrong but Riskassess is looking at including Disposal of chemicals in the near future. So it will make the CSIS obsolete for me. Very happy with Riskassess.