Disposal of Quarternary Ammonium

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Disposal of Quarternary Ammonium

Post by bigmack »

Just been given a container of "Gemex" to dispose of from Home science .

Says it contains Quarternary Ammonium Compounds which googling also would suggest it as Benzalkonium Chloride,

SDS sheets for either if these doesn't say anymore than dispose of as per local rules .( why do SDS sheets even bother to have a disposal section )

CCSC or Science Assist don't mention either of these Chemicals .

Any one got any suggestions
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Disposal of Quarternary Ammonium

Post by Labbie »

Yes give it back to TAS Home science, let it be their cost and not Science, or perhaps your school works differently. Any idea when it was purchased? guess after the time they have to give us a SDS, or from where. Has chemwatch got it? Sorry no much help really.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

LOL , its 18 years old Labbie .
Doh , didn't even think about Chemwatch .
That can be tomorrows problem..... thanks
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Good luck
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

How much is in it? My SDS for the QAC we use says small amounts can be flushed to sewer. If it is a large container, 5L+, my only advice would be to organise it to be collected in your next chemical waste pick up - at TAS's expense. After 18 years, it is probably no good for anyone.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 15:00 How much is in it? My SDS for the QAC we use says small amounts can be flushed to sewer. If it is a large container, 5L+,
There's about 1.5 liters left.
Been checking Chemwatch and a few SDS's for it said it was nasty to dispose of down the drain ...typical conflicting info . Why isn't it in CCSC

Might just bring it home and take it to the local Domestic chemical collection depot :whistling2:

Oh and why not give it back to TAS ???? ...because this wood duck said "give it to me , I'll sort it for you" :cheesy: ...live and learn :whistling2:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Previous labbie here was the collection point for everyone's old chemical waste. I looked in the chem store when I came and found 88L of photography waste and 8L of waste from Science. Why are we organising this? on proportion, i should take my waste to visual arts!
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

LOL ... well as luck would have it , my offsider came in and asked what was the container of disinfectant doing ? I explained and he said no way was I dumping it . I said it was 18 years out of date .... none the less , he took it home .... waste not , want not apparently \:D/ .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh no! That's yuk! Not to mention it won't be terribly effective and will only probably breed more resistant bugs. I don't think I've used that much disinfectant in the past 20 years at home!