Chemical Safety Procedures

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Chemical Safety Procedures

Post by linotas »

Hi,

As you can probably tell by my posts today I have my Chem Safety hat on :hi:

Does your school have a Chemical Management Policy? and/or a written Chemical Procurement Procedure? that you know of.
If so would you be willing to share?

I have to write both these documents from scratch and am after some ideas.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Chemical Safety Procedures

Post by Lyn »

Hi linotas,

You could start with Science Assist's Chemical Management Handbook for Australian Schools. Science Assist have developed a number of useful guidelines for helping out lab techs around Australia. Download their SOP's. It will save you a lot of time trying to write your own. I will continue to trawl through my copious amounts of literature on this subject and pass along anything that may be relevant. Yes I went a little crazy :crazy: trying to find information on keeping me safe in my workplace and keeping my workplace safe for me.

Check out these: Guidelines for Managing Risks with Chemicals in DETE Workplaces Nov 2013 Qld ( this is the one we are now advised to refer to in the catholic system in Darwin) also look for Guidelines for the Storage of Science Chemicals Third Edition 2005 Vic.DET. Hope they are useful.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Hi linotas,

Seem to have sent you on a wild goose chase with the "Guidelines for the Storage of Science Chemicals Third Edition 2005 Vic DET". I have checked a number of sites and can't find it anywhere. However I do have a copy of the document and might be able to email it to you if you want it.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Thanks Lyn,

I did a google yesterday and did download the QUL DETE one and I also did download something from VIC DET (haven't look at them yet. All the unis have them (and publicly available) so it is just a matter of reading (reading, reading!) and going from there I think.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Having something to work around is better than starting from scratch. Just some adaptation on your part. The "Chemical Management Guidelines" from the University of Melbourne was useful as well and extensive. A lot of reading. Anyhow good luck with your task.