amylase colour code

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

amylase colour code

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all

I have been going through ALL our chemicals and not only updating the SDS but also checking the colour codes I have from the old CSIS compared to RiskAssess which we now subscribe to. Lots of chemicals have changed - some going to a higher classification and some going down. One that I am finding quite surprising is amylase which has gone from green to red. We only have 50g of it and obviously when it is used only a small amount is used at a time. However, it seems quite extreme to not allow senior students to use amylase. What do others think?
Another one that has changed is nickel II chloride which has gone from green to red - even a 0.1M solution!

Kathryn :?
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Re: amylase colour code

Post by Prima »

That's a worry, Kathryn, another reason why the new CSIS is way overdue for release...

We have just subscribed to RiskAssess and I am planning to do the same thing. Looks like it will take a lot longer than I thought!
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I thought the colour system was called DETRA Dept Education Training Risk assessed .

Is "Risk Assess" part of the DET or an independent ? If they are an Independent then who in the DET has advised them that these are the new colour codes ?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Risk assess is independent, DoE has to follow the CSIS even if it is out of date.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

The owner of Riskassess worked with the government schools on the current CSIS package in the late 90s. He is aware of the classification of chemicals into year groups based on the hazardous nature of those chemicals. Riskassess has been updated in accordance with changes in the classification from the international body (whose name escapes me at the moment).
As an independent school, who complete risk assessments on every science prac, we do not have to strictly follow CSIS. For this reason, we are able to make decisions on how we classify our chemicals. Incidentally, it is not a legal requirement for chemicals in schools to be labelled with a coloured dot. It is a simple system that works well, but it is not mandated by the Act or Regulations.
It is appalling that the government school system is expecting their staff to follow such out dated information.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

It just seems so inconsistent. Superphosphate, which has Danger as the signal word (skin/eye) has a blue dot.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Phil Crisp the owner of riskassess did work with Allan Smith DoE on the draft of the CSIS. I agree Merilyn it is s__________ for the DoE to make us work with out of date information. Blue dots are only for central schools that have k-12. 7-12 use green amber and red.
Regards Labbie

bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Kathryn I found this exert from Science assist .
General Safety Precautions when using Enzymes:

Safe handling of enzyme preparations can be accomplished through proper work practices, engineering controls, and use of personal protective equipment.

Note: Enzymes are biologically active proteins. It is advised to avoid inhalation of enzyme dust or aerosols, which can lead to sensitisation and allergic reactions. Enzymes may cause asthma and are irritating to the eyes, respiratory system, mucous membranes and skin. Always wear safety glasses and gloves. When working with powdered enzymes, wear a dust mask or work in a fume cupboard, that is not turned on, to minimise exposure to any dust. Always use practices that do not generate dust or aerosols.

Enzymes in powder form are hazardous substances1,2,3. However, in dilute aqueous concentrations, they are considered to be a low hazard.

Minor spills should be cleaned up immediately, without generating dust. Place waste into a labelled container for disposal via a waste contractor. Do not discharge waste into the sewer or waterways.

Science ASSIST recommends you conduct a site-specific risk assessment to assess and control the risks. You will need to determine how to safely prepare, handle and dispose of the solution. We have developed a Risk Assessment template for schools to use, see Risk Assessment Template.
So I wonder if the Risk assess colour codeing is referring to the powdered version whereas CCIS is referring to the safer liquid Amylase . We have both powder and Liquid but both are concentrates and diluted before going into a class . The class never see's the concentrated form .
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

CSIS usually states if it is diluted. Our senior students may make up their own solution.

Surely if the product has been classified as blue you would put a blue dot on it Labbie? I was told in one rego inspection that even the non toxic paints which can be used by preschoolers and even though the art department goes through litres of the stuff, every bottle has to have a blue dot on it. Now that seems quite ridiculous to me!
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

To take up Kathryn's comment about Nickel II chloride - RiskAssess has classified it as Teacher Only until a dilution of 0.19M, along with a very long list of warnings.
Yr 11 and 12 can use it at 0.008 - 0.077M.
Yr 7-12 - it's safe to use when less than 0.008M.

According to Safe Work Australia:
Nickel II chloride was added to the list of dangerous chemicals in June 2016, and in November 2016 was recategorised.

According to CSIS:
Toxic if ingested. Carcinogenic. May cause allergic reactions.
Use eye and skin protection where splashes can occur.
Typically, student use should be limited to 2 mL of 0.1 M per activity per group/person. Dropper bottles provide good control on access.
Disposal: Waste solutions of this chemical may be disposed of down the sink (to sewer) within limits specified in Appendix E.

Surely it is wrong - and dangerous - to follow CSIS??? We have been using Nickel II chloride in the flame tests for years. We have now taken it out of the flame tests, regardless of what CSIS says!

Am I the only one who is concerned?
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

No you are correct, I agree with all you have said. But the top suits who get paid the money do not. Rant over
Regards Labbie