whole school chemical audit

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

whole school chemical audit

Post by superbug »

Hi Everyone,
I hope we all had an great break and had an opportunity to relax.

I have a question, who does your whole school chemical audit, registers and maintain the SDS's?
If it the lab assistant (aka you), how do you manage it all by yourself, please?

My school is looking at a better system and more efficient.
Currently I am doing it ALL... Needless to say its not getting done.

Any advice would help...

Thank You all

I will be waiting anxiously for your responses :mail: :mail:
Superbug
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: whole school chemical audit

Post by Labbie »

we use to do it all in term 4 when we did not have year 12 any more. I use to have help from the admin ladies, I would show them how to do the SDS and they would do it up in the admin office, when they could. It really helped a lot, have been doing this for over 6 years now, the SAM under stood just how busy I was and agreed to help.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Someone needs to coordinate it, but I believe it is the responsibility of each area to provide a list to this person of what they are keeping in their area. I would see no problem in expecting the coordinator of each area/faculty also provide a copy of the SDSs - but expect to be bombarded with questions or never seeing the relevant documents.
Seems like everywhere I go, I give a copy of last years stocktake to each coordinator for them to cross off anything they no longer keep and add anything new. This list and their whole folder of SDSs is returned to me to be updated. I then make sure that there is a master copy in the front office with copies of SDSs and a copy of the chemical register. Yes, I know, SDSs should be getting updated as soon as they expire, but that would be a ridiculously large job for one person so it isn't happening.
I did this role for a school of nearly 1100 students without any assistance and managed to get it all done by following the above process. Term 4 was always a good time to catch up after the departure of Year 12.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We have a Chemical Safety Manager employed one day a week to do this. That person happens to be me :D I have s part timer come in and do lab work for me on a Friday so I can do all the chem safety stuff. ....well that's how it is meant to work anyway.

I don't physically do the audits/compile lists. I delegate this to the heads of departments and they are meant to get back to me with the info. In theory it should work well, in practise it has been 9 months and I still haven't compiled the Haz Chem Register for the school as I am still waiting on over half the data.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Where I am - I have made up our chemical manifest from scratch and keep it on excel (far more abilities to search and set up reminders for expiring sds - than chemwatch offers) Every other department aka maintenance, TAS, CAPA etc are responsible for their own - I have gladly offered assistance and suggestions ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Linotas just an idea the first year I did it, we had the same thing dept never give me back their lists. So the next year, I printed out all the list from the year before, and gave them to the Prinicipal and he gave them out at the exc meeting. I got them back really quickly, and the principal said let me know how is running late. No one ever did run late I mean.
Regards Labbie

linotas

Post by linotas »

Thanks Labbie. The trouble is I am starting from scratch. So besides science there is nothing from last year! This is part of the problem. As much as my direct manager in this area doesn't want me to, I am going to have to start physically going and starting the process myself in some departments. We are a large, independant school, so my scope also includes the business owned childcare centre, commercial gym, rowing sheds and commercial holiday camp.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thats a big big job, do not forget the cleaners cupboard, I remember that was real fun. NOT
Regards Labbie

superbug

Post by superbug »

Linotas, I took photos front and back of products and noted quantities in pics too.
I then came back to my desk and typed it out. so much easier than a clipboard.
I also took pics of any issues that we as a school needed to address.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

You will have to delete the amount lines, it goes red, it was mine own work, it goes red to let me know we are running low on that chemical.
Photo copy one for each dept, that way they only have to put the amount in. I do hope this helps you. :wub:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Samantham

Post by Samantham »

The SAM here decided to ditch paper and put everything on Chemwatch, they hired me in during the school holidays (yay casual pay), and I did the whole school with the SAM and some of the admin staff when they had time. Now every department does their own (ok, I doubt that anyone but me is doing their own department, but they're responsible for it and hence its their problem), so all I do now is add new chemicals to the list. Admittedly I don't check the dates. I may have to start doing that. It's a huge job and took me and 6 others helping me 5 days straight. Admittedly we went over board at first because we didn't know where the line was and hence was listing kindergartens water based finger paint and the hand soap they used to get it off their fingers, so we were listing everything, but in the end it meant we understood what we needed to do and what did and didn't classify.

I do my audits biannually, usually at the end of the year to check what I need to order for the next, the beginning of the year to add in everything new I've bought, and then sometimes in the middle of the year to recheck stock levels.

I highly suggest telling them you need to be hired in for extra days to complete this extra work, at least for the set up, because it is a huge job.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Some would say that's a backwards step going to Chemwatch Samantham .

So Ditching Paper , do you still have hard copies of SDS's or are you going to use Chemwatch to access these ?

I have inherited the job of whole school Chem Audit . I have found Chemwatch to be tolerable for Science and 99.9% of Chemicals can be represented in some reasonable manner but the rest of the school is a total shambles . So many things aren't on Chemwatch even things that the school buys from OfficeMax ....(.you would think that a major supplier to the DET would supply their product details to Chemwatch which is the recommended DET Chemical register method .)

So I try to enter the closest product that I can find to at least attempt to account for it only to be told by the various faculties that they "don't have blaah blaah" when I print out the sheet for them to check there stock next time .

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

If you can't obtain the correct SDS, you should make a note on top of the first page that it is a substitute for...
However, the SDS for most products is easily obtained from the supplier - usually easier than negotiating Chemwatch.
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

I agree, I did warn the SAM that it is a stupid system, but the marketing company got to him and all he could do was sing they're praises. Was like hitting my head against a brick wall. And yes, we have no more paper SDS in the school. The theory was people would sooner google it on their phones than run for the paper file or open ChemWatch. As you have said you can not always get the correct SDS for the chemical but there is usually a substitute brand.
linotas

Post by linotas »

Samantham, how do they get around that fact that an manufacturers SDS has to be available to all workers at the site of chemical usage and storage? Does everyone have access to a phone or computer and internet? I hate Chemwatch and have moved away from using it. The school only pays a bit over $100 a year to use it so they can't be bothered looking at any other system.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

...and what happens if there is a power failure or the internet is down?
I've stuck with paper copies and also save the pdf to a shared folder. Don't get me started on that on-line system, I'll start ranting :-x
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

The SAM believes people will use their mobile phones too look it up, so the power won't be a problem. Internet on the other hand... I would assume in such an emergency that a teacher would use they're own credit to look up the SDS on their own data if there was a need.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Don't forget that Telstra had some issues last year where parts of Sydney were without internet coverage. I know it is extreme, but should be considered.
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

Good point.
linotas

Post by linotas »

Plus depending on your phone, some files won't download properly or at all. That's why we stick to paper copies as well, although I do have them electronically and provide links on our register.