GHS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
littltesttube
State/Location: NSW

GHS

Post by littltesttube »

Good Morning Fellow Labbies
Hope the end of term is not too busy for you.
I was wondering how GHS compliance and labeling was achieved by everyone?
Was extra time allocated or was it expected to be completed in your regular hours? How many hours a week do you work? Has everyone relabeled required bottles?
Is everyone compliant?? :coffee:
Thanks
Samantham

Re: GHS

Post by Samantham »

No extra time was alloted for doing science, but was given extra time to do whole school (basically anything but science).
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

No extra time was given, it took me two years with a lovely lady to lead a hand on Fridays.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I completed this all last year in my old job. I didn't want to leave it unfinished for the new person. I started on it early in the year and spent a bit of time on it each week. I wasn't given any extra time. I didn't have to do anything for other faculties except to remind them of the need for GHS compliant labels - but that was as my role as part of the WHS committee.
Remember, only hazardous chemicals need to be re-labelled. But you do not need to re-label purchased chemicals that are in their original container with their original label.
I'm fortunate here, as a new school everything is already GHS compliant.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

No extra time was given and has taken 1.5 years to get most of it done with two of us , 2 days a week. Any spare minute was used to get it done and now I'm almost there, it's just little things that we find that is left to do.
curie

Post by curie »

Hi can someone point me to a document and page number somewhere that spells out labelling requirements (NSWDET). My understanding was it was only stock chemicals bought from a supplier before GHS that did not need relabelling, and that all made up solutions, and decanted chemicals had to be relabelled. I'm getting conflicting stories and have been busily relabelling solutions and dropper bottles at my current school.

Help! Thanks
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

It was in School biz ask your admin for a copy, can any one remember when this was? Think it was so years ago, my guess is about 2012
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Correct Curie only new stock. But as you bring in the old stock from the store room, you must relabel it before use in the prep room. So may as do the whole thing. We would peel the new GHS label off before throwing the empty containers, out. Then put it on the next new jar. Hope this helps you.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Originally, Safework NSW wanted all chemicals relabelled. This was different to other states. I really didn't feel comfortable relabelling purchased chemicals. Then in 2016, they changed the requirement so that purchased chemicals did not need to be relabelled, but any new chemicals purchased must comply with GHS requirements.So I relabelled all my droppers and stock bottles, but didn't relabel purchased chemicals.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I have just found the following link which was last updated in June 2017, referring to a SchoolBiz in June 2016.

https://education.nsw.gov.au/school-inf ... cal-safety
curie

Post by curie »

Thanks, that's what I thought.
However I just found out that I probably won't be kept on at this school next year, :-(
So that will be someone else's job. (Or not)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Prima, thats just great.
Regards Labbie