calcium granules

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Anastasia
State/Location: NSW

calcium granules

Post by Anastasia »

Hi everyone,

I have an old bottle of calcium granules that have turned completely white (they look like coconut flakes). There is no reaction with water or dilute HCl. Any ideas about how to dispose of would be much appreciated.

Anastasia
Samantham

Re: calcium granules

Post by Samantham »

I just sealed the container and threw it in the bin
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hold for collection, it can react with so many things, Sulfur, phosphorus, evolves flammable hydrogen gas on contact with water. Hydrogen and air will explode if ignited. Taken from page 67 from the CSIS.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

Even if it has completely turned?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I had a couple of very old tins of calcium that had oxidised. Similar in appearance to what you describe. It was going to take too long for me to neutralise any possible reactive material (in the fume hood) that might have been in the tins so I left them until we had a chemical pickup. Much simpler for someone on the other end to wonder why they were being asked to dispose of calcium oxide.
Your tin of white flakes is not going to do anything except take up a little space on one of your shelves. Just label it with something like "to be deleted" and pass it off at your next chemical pickup whenever you have one.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Thanks for your replies, will put aside for the next chemical disposal.