Chemical Stocktake in a Catholic School

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
ritacrem
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Carroll College
Suburb: Broulee
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Stocktake in a Catholic School

Post by ritacrem »

Hi Everyone
I am new to doing a chemical stocktake. I was job sharing and the other lady did the chem stocktake and never explained it to me (yes I did ask [-o< ). She suddenly resigned :oops: and now I need to try and do the stocktake. I have read on here the way many do their stocktakes which has been a great resource :clap3: but I think there are differences between DET schools and Catholic schools so I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I need to record every single chemical and mixtures along with all the dropper bottles etc. I also have to organise all the other school's KLA's to do theirs as well as up date the school's central SDS folders and online stuff :cheesy: ...So before I hit the panic button :w00t: completely any advice people might have would be greatly greatly appreciated - I'll even send some virtual chocolates to you... :wub:
Thanks heaps
Rita
Anastasia

Re: Chemical Stocktake in a Catholic School

Post by Anastasia »

Hi Rita,

I am at an Independent school and this is what I do. Our Chemical Register just lists all the hazardous chemicals from the Chemical store not dilute dropper bottles. Non hazardous chemicals are not listed in the Chemical Register but I do stocktake them in a separate file. I use an excel spreadsheet for both and keep printed copies of the Chemical Register only in the main school office, staffroom and preproom for easy access by emergency services should it be required.

Hope this helps
Anastasia
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I've worked in catholic and independant schools. Similar to Anastasia, I have an spreadsheet with all stock chemicals (I do not include diluted/made up chemicals) . I include chem name, manufacturer, hazard codes, DG class, storage location, volume and a link to the sds (if I'm not using a chemwatch one) For the Haz Chem register I just extract all the hazardous chemicals from my list.

I am the Chem Safety Manager for our school and this is what I require from each department as well. I then compile the schools Haz Chem Register from that. It's a huge job given that our school also owns a commercial childcare centre and gym, all open to the public, as well as a holiday retreat and is over 2 campuses. I get paid one day a week to do that part of my job.
Shell1
Job Title: lab assistant
School: SJBC
Suburb: Engadine

Post by Shell1 »

I work in a catholic school and we have to do our stock take on chemwatch. I have all chemicals (haz and non haz) on the chemwatch manifest so I can print it out and then physically take the list to the chemstore to do the stock take. I don't have any of my made solutions or dropper bottles on this list. I make sure if I buy in a new bottle of chemical that I adjust the volumes on the manifest when I receive the chemical or if its a brand new chemical that I haven't had before I add the chemical and the volume to the manifest. This just makes it easier when doing the final stock take. I have all the sds's printed in colour for haz chemicals and have a copy of this folder in the prep room as well as in the main office as required (all other depts in the school have the same). I also have to manage all the chemicals for the whole school, so it means stocktaking all depts in the school. Depending on which diocese you work in the WHS team at CEO have usually set the science dept up with chemwatch and have given us access to all folders within the system. So there will be a folder for TAS, art, Maintenance etc that I use to do their stock take the same way I do science's. Hope this helps. Feel free to message or email me if you need any help or clarification on this.
Shell
ritacrem
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Carroll College
Suburb: Broulee

Post by ritacrem »

Thank you so much to all of you.....it really helps to have insight from experienced people out there....
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've worked in Wollongong CEO school. So have a few ideas. Initially, their chem register was on Chemwatch but I found it so difficult to work with, I converted it all to a spreadsheet.
So, I put together the register for the whole school, but I expected each faculty/area to do their own stocktake. I would give them a copy of the previous years' list and ask them to delete/add any items. Remember that you are only required to keep a list of hazardous chemicals. Sometimes, the only way to find this out is to check the SDS, which can create a bit more work.
As others have said, I never include my solutions, unless they have been purchased in that form. Otherwise, as long as you include the solid or concentrate and have the relevant SDS, you have have it covered.
When it comes to quantity or volume - I always just show the maximum you ever have e.g. if you buy HCl in 500mL bottle and you only ever have one bottle, I record 500mL, even if it is half empty.
Please PM me if you have any questions. More than happy to help out.