Eyewash station

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Eyewash station

Post by bigmack »

We all have them hiding in the corner .

When was the last time you operated it
Even though this one has a plaque saying to test weekly it obviously hadn't been used in years .

I ran it and out come this horrid milky rusty disgusting crap for quite some time that I would not wash my old socks in let alone some poor kids Eyes . Eventually it ran clear .

I'm sure most of you do test these but for those that don't , I urge you to do it right now and Like I will from now on , add it to your list of chores .
Eyewash.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle
State/Location: NSW

Re: Eyewash station

Post by Lorikeet »

Good advise - I made up a list of things to check, change etc ie clocks, calibrating balances, changing air cons over etc spanned them out over the year ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I periodically push mine as I walk past. I should really make up a schedule for this type of stuff. Actually I need to make up a schedule for yearly maintenance to be done over the summer break. That way it will stop my procrastination over that time.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I was just checking one of ours and it is partially blocked. Some of the holes have calcified. This one is a hand held one on a hose, any suggestions on what would be safest to clean and unblock it with?

TIA Mel
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Is it possible to dismantle the shower part? You could try soaking it in CLR. But you would need to rinse it really, really well afterwards by running the water through for quite a long time. Hopefully, someone will come up with something a bit safer.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I have soaked a shower head in vinegar at home, it worked okay - might be better than CLR?
melsid

Post by melsid »

Great ideas, I was hesitant to use CLR just in case I didn't get it all off. I'll give vinegar a go first and hopefully that will be all I need!

Thanks.
melsid

Post by melsid »

Woohoo! :clap3:
The vinegar worked!! \:D/
My eyewash station now runs properly again. Let's hope we never actually have to use it though...