Spray Painting booth

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Spray Painting booth

Post by linotas »

A little OT, but does any of your schools have a spray paint area/booth and if so do they have a safety document SOP for it? It is way out of my expertise area and I need to review our schools SOP.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Spray Painting booth

Post by Merilyn1 »

We don't but I can only imagine it is an accident waiting to happen. I would think they would be crazy to operate it without a SOP in place. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a code of practice available from your safework/workcover type people in your state. Maybe have a look there and pass the information onto the relevant teacher. I would be really concerned with long term health effects.
Nichole
School: Bonnyrigg High School

Post by Nichole »

Linotas try ringing a TAFE and speaking to there teachers in the automotive section they should have spray booths for apprentice spray painters and surely have a SOP plan
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

I asked our Trade Training School here if they had one but they don't do spray painting but I contacted OnGuard and this is their reply

"Unfortunately we do not have an SOP for the Spray Booth.
This equipment is prohibited in Dept of Education schools because it requires ‘health surveillance’ …
(Refer:Chemical Safety in Schools (Section 1.6.2.1 (c)).
For this reason OnGuard Safety Training does not have an SOP for this DoE prohibited equipment."

Hope that helps linotas
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think of TAFE, will give them a call. Interesting smeee. I am in an independent school but our DOE have very little in the way of regulations around science/chemicals. They have some banned chemicals and pracs and that's about it. The independent and Catholic sector loosely adopt these.