Labelling iodine solution

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
stilltry
State/Location: VIC

Labelling iodine solution

Post by stilltry »

I am labelling chemicals using RiskAssess but can't find one for iodine solution (15g KI and 3g I2 in 1 L H2O). Could anyone help me please?

Thanks.
SY
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Labelling iodine solution

Post by Lyn »

I think the label you are looking for may be Potassium triiodide solution. It comes up when you select iodine and it gives you choices. I'm happy for someone to say I'm wrong.
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

You're right Lyn but in my experience that name (while technically correct) causes confusion with potassium iodide solution. Luckily RiskAssess labels now give you the ability to customise the name that is displayed; after you select potassium triiodide you can edit the "name in label" field to say iodine solution instead, but it still saves the right hazard information. Very useful.
stilltry
State/Location: VIC

Post by stilltry »

Thank you so much, Lyn and Milo. I thought of having the label as you suggested but, wasn't sure if the compound KI3 would be formed when KI was mixed with I2 or the solution would remain as a mixture (KI/I2), simply because I couldn't edit the displayed formula KI3. Your replies confirm that I should go with Potassium triiodide solution. Thank you again.