SDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
kurra
State/Location: NSW

SDS

Post by kurra »

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all finding the new GHS painless and getting it sorted.

It is once again time for me to print out new SDS for our school, which is 8 folders worth as our Science department is spread across three school blocks and one main chemical store. This will also keep me in line with the new GHS and updated SDS. My question is, can we just access the SDS from our computer when needed, which will stop the wastage of all of that paper? Not to mention the time it is going to take me to print them out.

Also, do you all print them out in colour?

Do any of you just print the mini version and will this keep the department happy?

Thank you for any help you can give me, regards Kurra.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: SDS

Post by Merilyn1 »

Safework NSW (previously Workcover) require that staff using hazardous chemicals must have access to the SDS. If you only have an electronic copy, staff will not be able to access the SDS during a power failure or other computer problem. It does seem a waste of paper, knowing that I'm probably the only person who will ever look at them, but I print them out and put the old ones in the recycling.
Remember that the SDSs are good for five years, so only need replacing when they expire.
The problem with the mini SDS is they are not recognised by Safework, you would still need to have the full SDS from the manufacturer or supplier available. You would need to check with those in higher places in your workplace to get a decision on that.
You don't need to print the SDSs in colour, black and white is acceptable (even labels can be printed in B&W).
There is a lot of good information on the Safework website. Also, Riskassess run an excellent two day course on lab safety.
kurra

Post by kurra »

Thanks, Merilyn
kurra

Post by kurra »

Sorry, another question.

Can I print the SDS back to back or do I need to print as it is set up. I was told last time I printed them I couldn't print them back to back and was wondering if this is correct,

thanks Kim.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I Can not see why NOT, I would print them back to back, saves paper.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kurra

Post by kurra »

Thanks Labbie,
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

There's no direction in legislation or regulations that state it has to be single sided. So, yes, save some paper and print double sided.
lfn

Post by lfn »

Hi,
Regarding to SDS could anyone please tell me when teachers are doing the prac is it compulsory to give them SDS for each chemicals when they are working with the chemicals or just keep it in the Prep room and when they need it give it to them?
Thanks
lfn
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

That is correct IFN, the information on the new GHS labels is enough for the teacher, unless they require more information.
Regards Labbie

lfn

Post by lfn »

Thank you Labbie :)
kurra

Post by kurra »

Hi, I have another 2 questions about printing an SDS.

Do we only need to print an SDS for a chemical if the signal word is dangerous or warning, or do we need to print one for all chemicals. Also, I am finding some of my suppliers only have a 2 page mini SDS. What would you do in this case? Print out the mini, or one form chemwatch that covers everything. The mini has the 16 headings, but the information is basic,

thanks Kim.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I've printed out the full SDS for all of the chemicals we have, whether they have signal words or not. Just being sure to be sure.... I've also saved a copy of the PDF into a folder on the staff drive for ease of access for all staff.

By searching online I've located an SDS for everything we have here. Most companies (if they still exist!!) have them available online.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

We are required by legislation to have the SDS available for all hazardous chemicals. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way to find out if the substance is hazardous is by reading the SDS! I tend to just collect them for all my chemicals - it is still good practice to know what to do with a spill or exposure. Scienceassist recommend a register of all chemicals, not just hazardous chemicals as required by law.
The supplier has an obligation to provide a full SDS for all hazardous chemicals. If the chemical is hazardous and they are not providing the correct SDS you should contact them. If they can't provide one, you can try to find a substitute, but make a note on it why you do not have one from the supplier.
kurra

Post by kurra »

Thanks melsid and Merilyn,

I have printed one for every chemical in the past so I will continue to do that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making work for myself.

Thank you everyone for your help. I finally feel like I am swimming again. The change over is a bigger job than I thought.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Ok Ladies - I have chemicals from "Government Department Stores" and can not locate SDS ... Does anyone have a link - by chance ??

If you can not locate an SDS for the specific brand you have we are required to dispose and replace chemical ??
Can we write our own SDS ??

Any information appreciated ... K8
With thanks Kate :coffee:
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

One of my teachers told me that Government Stores is probably Ajax Chemicals now. So I downloaded their catalog and use the product code AJA followed by the number in the catalog to search for the correct SDS through the ThermoFisher Scientific site.

http://thermofisher.com.au/SDS/searchsds.aspx

If I can't find the SDS for a specific brand, I use one for the identical chemical made by another manufacturer.

Good luck!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Although most of my chemicals are from ChemSupply if I have any feral chemicals that I can't get SDS from the supplier named on the bottle I will use SDS from ChemSupply or any other source as long as it is in date. I have just been on the Thermo Fisher site and it is unwieldy and time consuming to use. Some companies just like to make life difficult. As long as you have an up to date SDS for your chemical even if it is not company specific there is no need to dispose of it.
I have also retrieved SDS's from Sigma-Aldrich and Sciencelab.com, but mostly ChemSupply.
Instead of going into the Thermofisher site, look for Fisher Scientific (an attachment of Thermo Fisher) but probably easier to access the MSDS info particularly for Acros Organics.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Government stores then became q-stores and now is office max. Melsid as you will find in the CSIS bible, in a corner it will have q-stores which is an old name. So try office max site. All chemicals ordered this year, must have a SDS with them. I think that is Australia wide.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

For chemicals, it is pretty straight forward to substitute a SDS from another supplier if the original supplier is no longer trading - hydrochloric acid is hydrochloric acid. It becomes a problem when you have, for example, a cleaning product, that has a specific formulation. In that situation, if you cannot find a substitute SDS, it is advisable to dispose of the product. If you have to obtain a substitute, make a note on it why it is not the original supplier's SDS.
The supplier is obligated to provide a SDS. However, they rarely do that. At least it is easier to obtain SDSs on-line these days. Chemsupply do have a very friendly website, and I prefer to buy their product because of this.
vickir

Post by vickir »

Labbie
" All chemicals ordered this year, must have a SDS with them. I think that is Australia wide."

When I ordered chemicals at the beginning of the year, I specifically wrote on the order for them to supply SDS with the chemicals. I did receive SDS, however, they weren't SDS from the chemical manufacturer.

I found that the company that I ordered through (well recognised Science supplier) the chemicals were "no name" brands, from China, which I haven't heard of in the 13 years that I have worked in Science. I like Chem Supply chemicals and I will certainly be using a different supplier next year and contacting them prior to me placing an order.