SDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS
State/Location: NSW

Re: SDS

Post by melsid »

One of my teachers told me that Government Stores is probably Ajax Chemicals now. So I downloaded their catalog and use the product code AJA followed by the number in the catalog to search for the correct SDS through the ThermoFisher Scientific site.

http://thermofisher.com.au/SDS/searchsds.aspx

If I can't find the SDS for a specific brand, I use one for the identical chemical made by another manufacturer.

Good luck!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Although most of my chemicals are from ChemSupply if I have any feral chemicals that I can't get SDS from the supplier named on the bottle I will use SDS from ChemSupply or any other source as long as it is in date. I have just been on the Thermo Fisher site and it is unwieldy and time consuming to use. Some companies just like to make life difficult. As long as you have an up to date SDS for your chemical even if it is not company specific there is no need to dispose of it.
I have also retrieved SDS's from Sigma-Aldrich and Sciencelab.com, but mostly ChemSupply.
Instead of going into the Thermofisher site, look for Fisher Scientific (an attachment of Thermo Fisher) but probably easier to access the MSDS info particularly for Acros Organics.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Government stores then became q-stores and now is office max. Melsid as you will find in the CSIS bible, in a corner it will have q-stores which is an old name. So try office max site. All chemicals ordered this year, must have a SDS with them. I think that is Australia wide.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

For chemicals, it is pretty straight forward to substitute a SDS from another supplier if the original supplier is no longer trading - hydrochloric acid is hydrochloric acid. It becomes a problem when you have, for example, a cleaning product, that has a specific formulation. In that situation, if you cannot find a substitute SDS, it is advisable to dispose of the product. If you have to obtain a substitute, make a note on it why it is not the original supplier's SDS.
The supplier is obligated to provide a SDS. However, they rarely do that. At least it is easier to obtain SDSs on-line these days. Chemsupply do have a very friendly website, and I prefer to buy their product because of this.
vickir

Post by vickir »

Labbie
" All chemicals ordered this year, must have a SDS with them. I think that is Australia wide."

When I ordered chemicals at the beginning of the year, I specifically wrote on the order for them to supply SDS with the chemicals. I did receive SDS, however, they weren't SDS from the chemical manufacturer.

I found that the company that I ordered through (well recognised Science supplier) the chemicals were "no name" brands, from China, which I haven't heard of in the 13 years that I have worked in Science. I like Chem Supply chemicals and I will certainly be using a different supplier next year and contacting them prior to me placing an order.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Gosh Vickir that is very interesting, indeed.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Can you PM me the company name? Rather curious.
vickir

Post by vickir »

PM sent Merilyn1.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Yes very curious as they are acting illegally. By law all chemicals supplied must have a manufacturers SDS. It is when you have chemicals from companies who no longer exist that it gets tricky.

Can you PM me the company as well?
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Maybe we should all know the company's name.......if they are acting illegally I don't want to use them!!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

if you could pm too please about to put an order in.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I think the law requires the supplier to provide a SDS to a customer on the first occasion they purchase the chemical within a certain time period (it may be 12 months). They may get around this by having them available on their website, but I'm not sure.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

No I do not think we write our own SDS, Download it from Chemwatch. Government stores was once q-stores then office max.
Regards Labbie

Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

I confirmed with safework - one at the main prep room and front office and I have mine hyperlinked on the chemical manifest and on main school drive so everyone has access and of course IT have locked the file so no one can go and delete all my sds's ... one step ahead... K8
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

Vickir could you also email me the supplier. I have just received an order with chemicals in it and there was certainly no SDS at all included.
Is it stated somewhere that it is a WHS rule that they are supposed to be supplied with any purchase of chemicals??
superbug

Post by superbug »

I had this same issue with a chinese chemical provided to me. I asked for an SDS and the label pictograms did not match the sds pictogram. So I asked for a proper sds. They were unable to provide one that was correct. Most of the sds was N/A in places were there was a known hazard. I promptly sent all the chemicals back. Now I just use chem supply chemicals. I learnt the hard way.
Would someone please PM me the name of the company where they purchased please so I dont use them also.
Soozle

Post by Soozle »

melsid wrote:I've printed out the full SDS for all of the chemicals we have, whether they have signal words or not. Just being sure to be sure.... I've also saved a copy of the PDF into a folder on the staff drive for ease of access for all staff.

By searching online I've located an SDS for everything we have here. Most companies (if they still exist!!) have them available online.
Hi,
I am about to undertake printing the SDS for the whole school.
Do you have any advice regarding finding SDS as I have just spent hours hunting on Chemwatch - some were dated 2011 so out of date.
I also searched online as there are things such as dishwashing liquid and handwash but I can't find them.
I don't think I am using Chemwatch correctly either as it has to be easier to find than that!
Please help if you have time.
Many thanks
S
Soozle

SDS

Post by Soozle »

Hi,
I am about to undertake printing the SDS for the whole school.
Do you have any advice regarding finding SDS as I have just spent hours hunting on Chemwatch - some were dated 2011 so out of date.
I also searched online as there are things such as dishwashing liquid and handwash but I can't find them.
I don't think I am using Chemwatch correctly either as it has to be easier to find than that!
Please help if you have time.
Many thanks
S
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Good luck Soozle .
Only hint I can give you if you are using Chemwatch is make sure the "Vender" Button is selected otherwise you get the generic "Gold SDS's"

Also search with the manufacture's name first .
EG "Diggers Methylated spirit" will find exactly that whereas typing " methylated spirits " won't necessarily bring up the Diggers brand .

And you are correct that there often aren't any new SDS's . A few items I have just had to choose the closest alternative and mark it on the print out
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Soozle - you have learnt that Chemwatch isn't always easy. I usually search on-line for the SDS (Chemsupply has an excellent site for their SDSs). I know some schools are told to use Chemwatch but some issues are that Safework NSW (formally Workcover) state that the SDS must be from the manufacturer, third party SDSs are not recognised. In addition, they must include the Australian contact details for the manufacturer.
If you are unable to obtain the correct SDS, you may substitute with a similar product. Fine for chemicals, not so good for things like flysprays, cleaning products which have specific formulations. If you can't find the SDS or a suitable substitute, you should consider disposing of the product.
Good luck with your searching.