Lab coats

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mazcheck
State/Location: NSW

Lab coats

Post by mazcheck »

We have a new science HT who is horrified that the school has never provided lab coats for the students to use for experiments. She feels it is a WHS issue. What do others think?
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Re: Lab coats

Post by me »

Have never used lab coats in any of the schools I've worked at.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Where necessary, we use disposable aprons.
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

It depends on the budget of the school. I've worked in three schools and two out of the three had lab coats. The third school used disposable ones very ocassionally.
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

I have worked in three schools 2 have lab coats.
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Post by shaz.H »

Hi,
We have them available in the uniform shop if anybody would like to purchase one. The year 11 and 12 Chemistry and Biology usually take up the offer but i don't think they are necessary for the other years.
shaz
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

All schools I have worked at or know in my area either provide lab coats or it is part of the booklist. It is one of the science safety points taught...always wear a lab coat and safety glasses. One school I worked at went so far as to not allow students in the lab without a lab coat on. There reasoning is that you did not know what the previous classes had left spilt on the benches.

I think it is good practise.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

For the schools that provide lab coats, how do you go about having them washed and how often are they washed?
superbug

Post by superbug »

twice a year or as required, I wash them. i use the food tech washing machine and dryer.
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

Our yr 11 and 12 chemistry and biology students buy individual lab coats for themselves from the uniform shop, and use them often. They take the coats with them when they leave the school. Other years have communal lab coats in the labs, and/or disposable aprons, but rarely use them. My washing regime is the same as superbug's, usually only once a year though.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Wash once a term (sometimes once a semester depending on what's been going on first and third term). Some schools I have worked at got me to wash them on campus using school washer, others sent them out to be laundered with other school linen.