storage of H2O2

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
lfn
State/Location: NSW

storage of H2O2

Post by lfn »

Hi all,
Does anyone know what is the safest place for storage of H2O2 (35%) ? Do you store it in the fridge?! As I know if we've got domestic fridge that might be dangerous due to spark of internal light or motor.
Thanks
sunray18

Re: storage of H2O2

Post by sunray18 »

I have heard it is not safe to store in fridge - but we do. I think the lower concentrations that we use -6% - is quite safe in there.
No fridge is sealed completely perfectly so any gas release would not build up in the fridge.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Perhaps the SDS will tell you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I had the weaker solution in the fridge and the stronger one locked away in a cool spot in the chemstore.
But now it is all in the chemstore it gets really cold in there in winter
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

There is no flammability warning on the SDS, so I can't see an issue storing in the fridge. As others have said, they are not exactly airtight.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

The rule is not to store flammables in the fridge, due to gas build up at the risk of ignition from a spark. Hydrogen peroxide is not a problem in the fridge and it apparently prolongs its shelf life. However, my concern would be the security of the fridge. At least in the chemical store it is locked away. You would have to assess the likelihood of someone gaining access to the fridge, ie are the doors to the prep room always locked? I know I've found my prep room doors left wide open when I've come back from being elsewhere, with no one around.
lfn

Post by lfn »

Thanks my friends :thumbup:
Ilona
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Glenmore Park High
Suburb: Glenmore Park

Post by Ilona »

Ive had my H202 stored in the fridge, but just curious how long is the shelf life in the fridge? I think I have had mine in the fridge for about 2 years :-)

Thank you xo
Ilona -Glemore Park High
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Has anyone bought the bulk bottle (2.5L) of H2O2? It's more economical to buy it that way, but not if I end up having to throw it out because it's turned back into water... It would also save having to do the EUD as frequently!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

It does deteriorate quickly so depends what you are doing with it. We used to do an enzyme prac test for Bio which consumed a lot and it needed to be accurate(ish). They are not doing that prac anymore so I'm not expecting to ever use up even the 500mL bottle now. I will probably throw half of it out.

Storing it in the fridge does help to slow down decomposition.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Store in fridge and out of light. I would also minimise the head space in it. We buy the smaller bottle so we don't have it on the self for more than 3 months... we use a lot. It does drop very fast in concentration once opened.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We use H2O2 a lot, and I always buy the 2.5L container. We keep it in the fridge (technically not recommended unless it's a "spark-free" fridge, whatever that is). Have had no issues with decomposition yet. I would estimate sometimes we use stuff that's at least two years old.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

We don't use a lot of it, so we buy the 500mL bottles of 30% and dilute as necessary for the weaker solutions.
The amount of waste we save doing it this way more than makes up for the higher $$$/litre.