Dry Ice SDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Dry Ice SDS

Post by Lyn »

Have set up new topic for dry ice. This is an SDS for dry ice. Just note the transport information.
AL066.pdf dry ice sds.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Dry Ice SDS

Post by bigmack »

Nice info Lyn .
wonder what defines this
SECTION 14. Transport information (continued)
Special precautions for user
: Avoid transport on vehicles where the load space is not separated from the driver's
compartment.

My van has a cargo barrier ...it might keep a lion out of the drivers compartment but would dry ice make it through ?

If I used my wife's Hatchback and stuck the dry ice in an Eskie and taped it closed in the back ...would that qualify ...Oh I hate ambiguous rules and regs

I think I might use common sense
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Post by sunray18 »

Cargo van - NO GO, station wagon - NO GO
the reason is for the drivers safety -
Dry ice is made of CO2 and when it "melts", it becomes CO2 gas straight away without leaving any wet mark (that is why it is called dry ice).
CO2 is easier to be tied up in our blood and thus, when the dry ice sublimes into CO2 gas, it fills the car room with it.
If you have your car air conditioner on the gas becomes circulated in the car and can cause CO2 poisoning. There have been fatalities from this.
So, dont put the dry ice inside your car if you are using aircon with fully closed windows. You must leave the windows open for such
situation.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I think a little common-sense is necessary.
The inherent dangers of a large amount of dry ice is vastly different to 1kg in an esky.
I have to drive about 4 km to pick up the dry ice and then quite happily drive back to school with it in a 6pack esky in the back of a station wagon. About 5 min.
There is no way that the sublimation that would occur in that space of time would be of any consequence.
I do not however tape the esky shut as that could may a build up that could cause the lid to explode off creating a driving distraction.

One dry ice incident that has passed into Oxley High folklore is when one of the teachers had put some into a small coke bottle to explode the bottle.
He then placed the bottle into the bottom of one of the old thick ceramic sinks as it was taking too long.
Several minutes later there was an almighty explosion as the gas did its work disintegrating both the bottle and the 5cm thick ceramic sink!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Yes but 70 km with 7kg in the car is another matter.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I also transport about 1kg of dry ice around 4 km.
I put it in the boot of my hatchback - separated from the driver and keep the windows open - adequate ventilation.

I have to say that I would baulk at transporting any amount 70km in my car.