labeling old chemicals in store

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

labeling old chemicals in store

Post by superbug »

Hi ,
I have a lot of old chemicals labels on bottles in the store room that will need to be relabeled in order to be GHS compliant.
Can someone please let me know what info is required on the labels for GHS compliance that I will be sticking over the old chemical labels.
So far I have the product name, hazard warning, hazard statement and GHS pictures is there anything else please?
I am using my own template rather than using Chemwatch version.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: labeling old chemicals in store

Post by Labbie »

GHS Codes
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

I was told by Chemwatch (finally) that supplier info, precautionary statements and ingredients list info as well as the ones mentioned above is required, is any one doing this much per label, to relabel old chemicals in store? or am I over killing it with too much info?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I also have made my own templates that are the size of a J8165 Avery label.
I make sure if possible that the new label does not occlude the old label with the chemicals name on it so the person using the chemical can be sure that the new label is correct just with the updated information.
I have not put other possible ingredients just the chemicals name as on the original bottle as I have no idea if there is anything else in the bottle.
I have added the chemical formula and put the supplier as Chem Supply as that is where I would get a replacement bottle from having no idea of the original supplier which is probably no longer in existence!
On bottles that have recent labels but not GHS I just add the GHS symbols, precautionary codes and hazard statements with extra sticky labels.
I have attached a file showing what I have on my labels, I copy and paste the appropriate information from a Chem watch label (page 3, 4 GHS labels to an A4 in the gallery)
Top Left.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Thanks Fibreweb,
when we went to the ASET conference, I went along to a seminar where we could ask any questions we had. We were told that we had to cover up old labels completely.
When I think about it, there is nothing on the old label that is any differnt to the new GHS version except for the GHS symbol. So why cant we just add the GHS symbols over the top of the DG codes?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

When we were trained, we were told NOT TO cover the old labels up, so you could still see the orginal label with lbs and oz on it. The new GHS labels do have more information then before, so we are well and truly covered. In the past we had to put mini sds with each chemical that went out. Now we do not, if it has the GHS label.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

Ummm Ok,
no mimi sds's!!????!! really? I thought they were very small too read on the bottle.

The guy at ASETwas from the Catholic education system. he told us to cover up old labels completely and place sticky dots or whatever on the back only and that we were not allowed to place the old DG stickers on either- eg 8 corrosive (to help with storage) anywhere!!
Ohh you had training, I should be so lucky.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

To help with storage I have made these labels which I put on the bottles when I do the new labels
Sticky labels with storage instructions.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

The new labels should not be stuck over the top of the old labels - put them on the back of the bottle or stick on with contact, which can be peeled back to check the label if necessary.
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

I think the conference presenter meant that the old labels were the old "dangerous goods diamonds" . They should be covered up with the new "diamonds"
He was not talking about actual chemical name label
superbug

Post by superbug »

Adrianna,
I was speaking to the presenter before & after the conference and he repeated the same thing. That we have to cover up the entire label and on the back of the bottle we are to place our coloured dots. Not on the front. BUT he never mentioned what info we should include on the label. Which is why I was asking the question in regards to info required on the main label.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'm with Adrianna - I don't recall him saying to cover up old labels, I thought it was just about the GHS pictograms replacing the DG diamonds. Maybe you could email him to clarify? I have his email address if you need it - I can PM you with the details.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

I understood him to say to cover up the whole label.........
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'd be concerned about covering up the entire label, unless it was a new label supplied by the manufacturer. But I could be wrong!
superbug

Post by superbug »

That is why I wanted to know what we need to include on the label as it is not just a diluted chemical we have made up but an actual supplier label. (thats if we need to cover up whole old label)
Merilyn1 would you be kind enough to email the guy for us all and let us know. I am not in a catholic school.
So we can clarify what is required.

Thanks!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

This sort of thing is quite annoying ....how can a presenter address such a basic concept as covering labels yet it come across so obviously different to people that attend .

When is the new CSIS coming out ? It is now the middle of February and we still have no Black and white so go by and the clock is ticking .
I'm sitting here waiting as I guess many others are . I only want to have to do this once .
superbug

Post by superbug »

Did you go bigmack? That was my understanding - to cover up old labels.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hey Superbug, sorry only just read your post about wanting his email! I have to try and remember his name, then find the address. I'll PM you with the information.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

superbug wrote:Did you go bigmack? That was my understanding - to cover up old labels.
No superbug I didn't go so perhaps I should not be commenting. You're confident in your understanding of what you heard , and so are others .I can't say who has it right and I don't care about that .

But I am now confused .
I'm just not prepared to stick a label on a jar and find out I've done it wrong ...I'm guessing it isn't going to come off and still look pretty underneath .
Just need a written directive .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I agree, Richard, we need something in writing, and it doesn't make sense that everyone is expected to operate in isolation. Doesn't matter what system you are in, we are all treated the same way.
I don't think anyone outside of Science realises the task at hand, and even then, half the teachers aren't aware of the what needs to be done. I am getting just a bit anxious about all of this. I keep asking for help and reminding the WHS people of time frames. At the end of the day, if I don't know what to do and things haven't been changed, who is going to have to wear the responsibility? It won't be me, that's for sure!