1M NaOH label in Chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Adrianna
State/Location: NSW

1M NaOH label in Chemwatch

Post by Adrianna »

Hello Everyone
Just venting my frustration with Chemwatch labels.
the labels, '14 to a page' for 1M NaOH has the formula NAOH - this is obviously a formatting error and should have been corrected - I do not think this is good enough Chemwatch. Also there appears quite a lot of different formats for the labels. Some labels have the molar concentration before the name eg 1M SODIUM HYDROXIDE and some have the molar concentration after the name e.g. SODIUM HYDROXIDE 2M. Also some labels are in upper case some in lower case. There appears quite a few discrepancies between labels. Surely the 0.1M POTASSIUM DICHROMATE label should have the wildlife toxic label - as the 0.1M SODIUM DICHROMATE has. Should the 1M AMMONIA SOLUTION label have the left hand column font size the same size font as the RH column and should it not say 1M AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE (not 1M AMMONIA). I just feel the '14 labels tp a page' seem to be an after thought. Just my frustration.
Adrianna
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: 1M NaOH label in Chemwatch

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi Adrianna!
I'm hearing you! I've given up trying to understand Chemwatch. I've printed off labels one week and then the next can't find the chemical listed. I hate it when you do a search, start typing what you want then the drop down list appears, you click on the one you want but still have to search through 3 or more pages to actually find what you're looking for! I've found entries for HCl that have no warnings/hazards listed, then found another with much more information included on the label. I've even encountered this problem with safety data sheets.

I have created my own labels in Chemwatch, using the 14 labels to a page as a template and saving it. This overcomes some of the problems of the chemical name being in upper or lower case. For me, I found the font size too small on their template. I've also included the coloured dot in the label (which is good if you have access to a colour printer). Have a look at the tutorial for instructions.

Until something better comes along, I have to use their labels. At least it does give us something to work with and it is what I have been told to use. But why does it have to be so hard? :mad:
karend

Post by karend »

I hear you all! Find it all time consuming and sooooo...FRUSTRATING.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I am so glad I am retiring :thumbup:
Our job just get harder and harder
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I have noticed a few discrepancies on labels too.
I can't remember which one it was but Chemwatch had different pictograms on it's labels for the same chemical when i had printed them off only weeks apart.
It's getting so frustrating. I contacted our head office WHS lady and she is going to table it at their meeting at the end of the month to see if they can come up with a better/easier way to do this.