Safety showers.

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

Re: Safety showers.

Post by curie »

Re safety showers and eyewashes - how many of you check them, both for operation and flow rate? Do you get someone in to check them/do maintenance? In my previous life safety showers and eyewashes were checked for operation on a weekly basis as part of rostered safety checks. I've taken to checking our safety showers and eyewashes (now we have them) every month for operation. Last month I tested them for operation the pressure was so poor it would not blow the covers off the eyewashes in 2 locations (One lab, and the prep room!)and i found out that you can wait months and months for maintenance in this place, but put in a safety report and things get done.

I wouldn't have a clue how to check an eyewash for flow rate. Any suggestions?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Don't you need a very low pressure with the eye wash as other wise it could cause damage to the eyes?

I am slack and have no regular schedule of checking the eyewash and safety showers apart from the end of year clean up and check on just about everything.
curie

Post by curie »

They do need to be at a lower pressure than the shower so the eyes are not damaged, but if they can't blow the dust covers off it's too low.
I did find this link (hope it works) that says what the pressures should be and that the flow should be tested by a plumber every year and noted on the compliance tag. I can't find any compliance tag on ours so maybe it's something I should bring up?

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 6q3V-LzYAw
dime

Post by dime »

I seem to remember that we were supposed to check the safety shower every month. Doubt that it was a written instruction though. I mean, what is not going to happen - the water won't come out? I think a check once a year will suffice.
curie

Post by curie »

dime wrote:I seem to remember that we were supposed to check the safety shower every month. Doubt that it was a written instruction though. I mean, what is not going to happen - the water won't come out? .
Well, yeah that's pretty much what happened.