CHEMWATCH GHS Labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

CHEMWATCH GHS Labels

Post by sunray18 »

I have been checking out the labels that we can use for dropper bottles.
Has anyone else noticed that many of them contain the phrase "Keep only in original container"
How crazy is that!
Sodium Hydroxide has it for all concentrations. And many others also.
Who is going to purchase multiple pre-packed 25ml dropper bottles of each soltuion, even if they were available.
I have emailed them about this, pointing out how immpractical it is, but have had no reply.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: CHEMWATCH GHS Labels

Post by Ocean Breeze »

sunray
that phrase isn't useful to any user
maybe they should have used the phrase "this is now the original container"
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Yes I noticed that.
Also that things like 0.1M HCl have absolutely nothing written on them except the name. I asked Chemwatch why that is so and they say because it is non-hazardous there are no warnings on the SDS. I have pointed out that the SDS still has first aid measures and recommended PPE.
I still don't like how the name of the material is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it! Am finding their labelling system quite frustrating. :mad:
Kathryn :-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I HATE their system.. It comes up as a pdf which you cant change. I want to add the coloured dots to them so I just do one run of print and everythng is on the labels, but you can't add anything..
AND so0me of them are so long there is no way to get it onto a 25ml bottle.
One label had the phrase "Avoid breathing dust/gas/ fumes/ vapour/mist/ spray." immediately followed by " Do not breathe dust/gas/ fumes/ vapour/mist/ spray. "
Hey guys SPACE is a premium and why repeat yourself!!
Just about all that ihave done lately have had to wear eye protection and also FACE protection...??????

I had a giggle imagining all our year 7 little kids going around like spacemen with lab coats dragging on the floor, blue nitrile glove, safety goggles on and then full face shields over all that...
now I ask you isbn't that more dangerous??
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I was searching for the silver nitrate 0.1M SDS when I stumbled across this one. :unsure: I did know that high schools can be suppliers. Can anyone from Queensland (this is Queensland school) or anywhere else; PLEASE EXPLAIN, what kind of SDS is this? Is it valid? Who wrote it? 8-[
PRODUCT NAME: Silver nitrate 0.1M PRODUCT USE:Laboratory reagent.SUPPLIER Company: Beenleigh State High School
Cheers Jazz
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

No Jazz. :w00t: I think it just means that they were the last school to use it and for some strange reason the name of the school pops up as a supplier ????? Obviously a few gliches they need to fix with this program.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

I think it means that they requested the MSDS from Chemwatch. They had that conc, there was no relevant MSDS and as you don't buy it ready made up it was put on there with them as the supplier. A lot of the dilutions have them as the supplier so I assume they were one of the early users who requested a lot of MSDS's that weren't on Chemwatch. Chemwatch would have written the MSDS so I assume it is all above board and relevant to us all.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

It is possible to change this to your own info. If this is a chemical that you make up on site presumably you are the supplier. I was given these instructions by another labbie.
You can adjust this to your own school name and address at any time.
Go into Chemwatch – type in your chemical – press vendor button (top left area)
Then press preferred. Click on the + button – fill out your details and x the box. Go back to your SDS and the supplier name will now be yours.

This only does it for the chemical you are in but when you go to another chemical and click on preferred, your details will come up and you can just x the box again and it will stay that way until you change it. I have no idea if your info can then come up in other peoples SDS's after that though!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

i knew that but WOG in me is still confused, as far as I know
Noun

Vendor:
1.A person or company offering something for sale, esp. a trader in the street: "an Italian ice cream vendor".
2.A person or company whose principal product lines are office supplies and equipment.

does it have other meaning?
Cheers Jazz
malook

Post by malook »

I am under the impression that GHS discourages labbies( or anyone) from decanting into other containers ,hence the "keep in original container" specification
smiley

Post by smiley »

Again...a bunch of rules written FOR labbies by people who are NOT labbies, and have no idea what we do.

But seriously, most of the GHS rules out there are for bigger end users than the average school laboratory. Those rules are for mines, and other industrial chemical users, and I'll bet even they have to decant from time to time.
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

UPDATE - reply from Chemwatch
My question:
I have been checking the small labels – below is your label for Sodium Hydroxide 0.1M , 1m and 2M
The problem with this label is ”keep only in original container”
Most schools would make up the Sodium Hydroxide by dissolving solid Sodium Hydroxide. They would not purchase the solution ready made.
The solution would then be dispensed into dropper bottles for class work. I have this solution in 25mL and 50mL dropper bottles – approx. 100 bottles in all.
I am not able to comply with the phrase on this label – does this mean that I am in breach of the law?
REPLY:
You are not in breach of the law.
The statement is not relevant to your circumstances where you will be going from one glass or plastic to a smaller glass or plastic container.
However if you transferred to inappropriate aluminium container that would be different. And if you chose aluminium as your original container the statement Keep only in original container would then be incorrect as it would corrode and release flammable hydrogen.
smiley

Post by smiley »

And if you chose aluminium as your original container the statement Keep only in original container would then be incorrect as it would corrode and release flammable hydrogen.
At the risk of too many smilies: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Is it just me, or was that a hilarious answer? I wonder if we can find any containers made out of magnesium to put our Hydrochloric into? C'mon guys, the options are endless....
Cheers, K 8-)
mikah

Post by mikah »

oh dear....
wouldn't the original container type be regulated quite strictly to ensure suitability and chosen by the manufacturer?
when was the last time any of us "chose" the original container
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

in a month or so all schools will transfer from CG3 to new system call GoldFFX where youwill be able to create your own labels with own font size.

Now that is great news.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Oh no - I have jsut got used to CG3 .. another one!
superbug

Post by superbug »

Yes this one is for schools only. so it will be more appropriate!
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

So Labbie should I hold off on doing my labels????
I am redoing ALL my labels at the moment in accordance with Chemwatch, am I wasting my time???
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I would keep going, the labels will all be the same, only you can change want you do not need, Company name, size of font etc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

I will be waiting for the new labels to come through. I like it when I can change the size and font etc.