GHS labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
melissa
Job Title: Various
School: Doonside Technology High
Suburb: Doonside
State/Location: NSW

GHS labels

Post by melissa »

Does anybody out there know where to get GHS sticky labels for reagent bottles? Can't find them anywhere.
Whspa

Re: GHS labels

Post by Whspa »

Try Westlab.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

I got mine from Omega Scientific.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Both Westlab and Omega Scientific have them. I ordered mine from Omega.
superbug

ghs labels

Post by superbug »

Hi Everyone,

I got a cd "chemical label Maker V5" from omega scientific which is not GHS (no Pics). I was wondering how people make there own GHS chemical labels. Do you all use chemwatch labels or is there something better out there? I would like to relabel all our chemicals as I have a bit of time but find nothing is user friendly.

Please help!!
sunray18

Re: ghs labels

Post by sunray18 »

I took a lot of time and downloaded them from chemwatch and put the appropriate GHS symbol on them, and then made a sheet of 10 plus of them in columns.. I then inserted a circle with the correct colour code and print them on a colour printer. I ahve done all the chemicals I need and so I print up a few pages of each which I keep in a folder ready to paste as required
superbug

Re: ghs labels

Post by superbug »

wow that sounds like a huge job Sunray18. I am shaking in my boots just thinking of the mammoth task ahead.
superbug

Post by superbug »

I am not asking about the sticky labels that we can buy but the info on chemical solutions such as first aid etc, that are required by law on each bottle.
Surely there has to be an easier way then what Sunray 18 did. which was to go through all her individual labels and modify them herself.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Sorry superbug, but I had to merge these two thread, as they both had the same title. You can not modify them any more, they stopped us from doing it. Sunray I think is the only one who saved their labels. Well done Sunray.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

yes they have put them as a pdf on chemwatch, which is useless!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

It IS a big job, but I cut and paste ONE label from the pdf onto a word document that has two columns 0.4 gap and narrow margins. I format that one label, add the GHS pictograms required and Risk phrase numbers,insert a circle and fill it with the appropriate colour. Then I copy and paste that one label down both columns until i have a page full. I did a few a day - mroning tea job, or 10 minutes after work time... until I have compiled the whole set I need.
i do have to keep an eye on chemwatch though as they sometimes change wording on the small labels.
I do not use sticky labels- I print them on ordinary A4 paper, cut them out and use a packing tape dispenser to attach to bottles and beakers etc. Easier to rip the lables off if you need to - no soaking labels off, and the wide tape keeps them waterproof.
superbug

Post by superbug »

we use clear contact here to stick the labels on. I understand everything you have said above except "risk phrase numbers"
Can someone please explain!

Thanks Superbug
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Sorry - they are the H phrases, that are usually on the side of the large labels.. if you open Chemwatch search for a chemical in lables, then scroll right down to the very last template choice for a large GHS label and open it you will see something like this:
"Determined by Chemwatch using GHS criteria H290 H314 H318"
This is not on the small labels yet, neither are the pictograms..Chemwatch is still working on the labels and the small ones seem to be last on the list of priorities. I also use this large label format to find out which pictograms to use.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

there are two ways you can make changes
using foxit reader (little bit fiddely)
or use snapshot tool and paste it into word. Make changes that suits your needs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Jazz
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Hi Jazz, Can you please tell me a little more about snapshot tool & paste it into word. Paste it into word, I can do, but I would like to learn more.
Regards Labbie

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

file is too big to attach, will try PM
I will be at CONASTA ; presenting IT for lab tech on July 10, hope see you there
Will talk to Margaret, maybe we can organise workshop at Sydeny Gramma (ASET PD)
Cheers Jazz
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I would not be worrying about the labels just yet... I still have not heard anything from 'official channels' - only what's been said on here. If the labels aren't available, then we can't really be expected to have them can we? If you have time to make up your own then go for it but I for one do not see it as a priority. I figure with the 5 year change over period (which I think I read on here somewhere) there will be access to labels before the time is up!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes Yes please Jazz, Not the 15th May, as I am doing a talk on chemwatch.
Regards Labbie

jamie
Job Title: Lab Assistant-SAO
School: Katoomba High
Suburb: Katoomba

Post by jamie »

Do you all have a coloured printer?I have to go up to the office to use there printer but now they have changed to a coloured photo copier.Haave not tried that yet.
Jamie
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Jamie,
I am in the same boat as you. NO colour printer. But I am working on it. I am told in the holidays i will be getting a printer. will see. at the moment I am having to print to a colour printer in admin. which is far away.

we are not aloud to use the colour photocopier only printer. if we use colour P/C it gets documented as to how many pages and who needed them. so easier to just print.