Chemical labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
nahrein.yaghoubpour
State/Location: NSW

Chemical labels

Post by nahrein.yaghoubpour »

Hi Everyone,
Is anyone using the Omega chemical label maker and what do you think of it? Is it worth investing in or should I wait for something else.

Nahrein
The Search Engine

Re: Chemical labels

Post by The Search Engine »

I came online to ask the same question! Will have a little bit of a look at the disc and report back.
Cheers,

Searchie
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I guess we all just got one in the mail this morning then!
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Good Morning!
I have previously (pre-GHS) used this program to label my chemicals and have had no trouble with it. This updated one appears to cover the criteria needed, I am inclined to renew to label Maker 5. I find it saves a lot of time. What do others think? 8-[
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I also received one in the mail. So I am very interested in learning more about it all. Are they worth it, or should I just use chemwatch, Like I have been doing all these years. Very eager to learn more.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lada

Post by lada »

Yah, I would like to get your point of view as well.
I have been using chemwatch.
Lada
plaver

Post by plaver »

We have been using Label Maker for some years and it is excellent. The GHS version (Label Maker 5) is very good, you just have to check some of the SDS to make sure the wording is correct for the hazard and precautionary phrases depending on the molarity as some do not exactly match. They are also the only people (that I have found) that have the little stick on pictograms. It seems South Australia are ahead of everyone else in GHS compliance. Highly recommended.
Penny Laver
Laboratory Manager
Monte Sant Angelo Mercy College
North Sydney
lesnsw

Post by lesnsw »

Does anyone know when we have to convert to the new labelling system- GHS?
Also, how likely is it that DEC will educate us on the changes required?
Lesley
Lesley
dime

Post by dime »

If the DEC require us to change the labelling they will let us know. We work for them, so if we are non compliant that is their problem
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I was told by the 1st January 2017, at an inservice by phillip Crisp so I guess if your've been told, it's just a shame I want be retired by then :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

I just use Chemwatch, copy and paste the labels into word and adjust them accordingly. I find this works well and chemwatch is always being updated so the information on the labels should be up to date. I have used other labelling programs but I find Chemwatch to be the easiest and most efficient. Then any left over labels I stick into a folder for next time.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I use chemwatch.
I go to the largest GHS label and note the diamond symbol, then go to the small one, cut and paste ONE of the labels onto a Word document, that is formatted into two columns with narrow margin and 0.5 gap.
I have a template page of the new symbols saved.
Insert the appropriate diamond symbol, copying it from my template page. Format the one label.
I insert a cirlce and fill the colour as to what Year can use it.
Then copy and paste that one label all the way down the page and the two columns.
Then SAVE this into a folder.
I print a few pages at a time onto PAPER - then cut them out and use sticky tape to attach.
For the dropper bottles I use the wide clear packing tape with a gun, as this covers the label and protects the label from liquid.
I have done this for every label I use, and saved them on computer.
I also have a folder with plastic sleeves arranged alpha and the printed copies go into this..
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

In relation to Chemwatch and copying labels.
I could do that last year when they were on the data base in HTML format but now they are in PDF and it only copies as an image unless your school system has PDF writer. I contacted Chemwatch yesterday and was told they are finalising software for customising labels, that they say is nearly ready to launch. When asked expected time I was told a few weeks to a couple of months.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Sharon, I did wonder why I could not copy & paste yesterday from chemwatch. I was going to ring them today, so just wait a little while?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I do not open the label itself, I just copy from the first screen that comes up... I just tried it to see if they ahd changed it, but it still works..
so I click on the small labels, then highlight only one of the ones that appear on the next screen... and use that
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Yes Sunray you can do it with the small labels, but not the GHS labels which are the ones we have to change over to.
ferret

Post by ferret »

I have received the disc for Label Maker V5 and am having trouble viewing it , can anyone help?
anju thomas
Job Title: Lab Technician
Suburb: Liverpool

Post by anju thomas »

Well, I was also very excited about this label maker and got permission from the HT as well. But when I enquired about its compatibility with Mac guess what it won't work....... :mad: