Flammable cupboards

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

Flammable cupboards

Post by curie »

Hi, we are going to do a science refurb and I will be getting <drumroll> a flammable cabinet! :clap3: I was wondering if there is anywhere where it says that flammable cabinets have to be stored in a chem store in schools - I am assuming they do, but can't find it written. I do know that they need to be 3m from any source of ignition ( which I am asuming also means power points) but my HOD thought as they are lockable they dont actually need to be in the chem store. There is not a lot of room to move in my chem store as is, but I was hoping that was one thing they could work on to make it bigger better and safer. (My principal thought it would be fine to ut all the chemicals in a compactus but that's another story) 8O

Thanks for your help
dime

Re: Flammable cupboards

Post by dime »

Well you don't want your flammable cupboard near anyone. What I mean is the smell from the flammables can be strong when the door is opened. I think some are actually vented to the outside, so that could also be a consideration. Ours is in the chem store room, but it is a large room. There is a open grilled window close by the cabinet, and I must say the fumes aren't the problem they used to be, when the cabinet was just in a prep room. Good luck :thumbup:
lada

Post by lada »

We have ours in haz chem store, which is mechanically ventilated and has non-spark switches specifically for this purpose, so the fumes dont ignite. I am lucky to have it but it should be mandatory.
Lada
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I wouldn't put the flammable cupboard anywhere except in a chemical storeroom. I agree with dime the fumes can knock you out sometimes. Hence the vented storage that I now have in mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

here is my flammable cupboard that is vented.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I have a (non vented) one in my prep room. It is under the main workbench with a corrosive under the other end. They are small, it is not ideal, but I do not have a dedicated chem store. At the other school I work at, all cabinets (2x flam, toxic and oxidising) are all in our chem store.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

work cover website
Dangerous goods liquid storage
What are the requirements for a flammable liquid store?
Both external and internal flammable liquid stores should be built to the standards outlined in AS 1940, The storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. As outlined in the Code of practice for storage and handling of dangerous goods 2005, compliance with the AS 1940 must be addressed in your risk assessment documentation. If you do not comply with AS 1940, you must consider safe work practices or risk control measures that ensure an equivalent level of safety.
AS 1940-2004 The Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids
Cheers Jazz
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Am pretty sure we were told after the refurb that chemicals are NOT to be stored in the compactus, but can't immediately find any official info to support that statement.

Cheers
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
dime

Post by dime »

They stuck a sign on my compactus which says, "Storage of chemicals prohibited". Doesn't get much clearer, does it?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Just make sure that they do not install the flammables cupboard or corrosives cupboard in your prep room work space. This happened to me when the science coordinator at that time wanted those cupboards moved into the senior prep room and for the next 18 months I was generally not well because of the constant contact with fumes from the cupboards. Finally we had a safety audit and the next day the cupboards were removed back to the chemical bunker that they had come from. So if the school is not prepared to spend money on proper ventilation for your cupboards just point out the health issues involved and check with WorkHealth&Safety. I do have two small cupboards (flammable and corrosive) that are installed in the middle school prep room which are individually vented to the outside and I do not have a problem with them. Every school has a responsibility to look after the health of their workers.

Lyn.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Lol - Thanks Dime - I went looking for a sign the other day, but couldn't find it...
Have just had another look and no sign on ours now! Hmmm...
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Somehow the sign saying "Storage of Chemicals Prohibited" was put on the preproom door rather then the compactum! :redcard:

I understand they can't be stored in the compactum because of the danger of migration as the sections are slid backwards and forwards. I have had other items, especially my specimin jars of the various metals, fall out as I move the sections. Even those at the fixed ends.

Wendy
dime

Post by dime »

The builders were given the sign Wendy, but no one told 'em where to put it! lol So they just stuck wherever they wanted.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Mine is stuck up in a very prominent position - On the wall right above my desk!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :crazy: :thumbup:
J
curie

Post by curie »

So it isn't ventilated, and it's under the bench , and like linotas, I have a small corrosive cabinet at the other end. :redcard: They have sliding cupboard/ drawers (not a compactus as such) for chemicals in the middle of the prep room that can't be locked. :redcard: The shoebox, sorry chem store , has narrow shelves, with no vertical dividers to seperate DG groups. So many things I flagged that they ignored. Hey, what do I know? I've only worked in industry for 20 years. :-o

Sorry, I needed to vent, cause my flammable cabinet won't
curie

Post by curie »

At least I got a fume hood after jumping up and down, maybe i should be grateful. :rolleyes:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi can anyone help me out? I've done a few searches on here and through the CSIS manual but can't find.

Class 3 Flammable goods how much in a department before you have to have a flammable goods cabinet, I'm sure I've seen it in the CSIS manual before.

thanks
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Section 1.3 Dangerous Goods Legislation pg 19.

In a laboratory block/building: '100L maximum, plus 250L in an approved flammable liquids cabinet'.
malook

Post by malook »

Good luck with flammables cupboard refurbishment. If you don't score a vented model, you can wrap the lids with PVA electricians tape to seal in the fumes. Its a chep but effective way of preventing inhalation of fumes when you need to rummage in that cupboard. Mabey do it when you first set up new cupboard and then renew it stocktake as needed.
curie

Post by curie »

If you have a licence to store flammable liquids and are a level b school page 19 says you can store 100L max in a lab block BUT
it also says on page 7 that up to 20L may be stored together without requiring a flammable cabinet.