storage of unlabeled gas

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

storage of unlabeled gas

Post by dolphinscales »

Ok peoples i have come across some sealed glass tubes that apparently houses brown gas nitrogen dioxide and a colourless dinitrogen tetroxide .
I have never seenthse before - i know they are used for the application of Le Chateliers Principle to a gaseous reaction.
What i dont know is how do i store them - class? Haz chem? and if one was to be broken where would i get another one from?
I have not been able to find MSDS for the mixture - funny that !

I thank you in advance.

Annette

//EDITED by adam. Reason: make post subject more descriptive.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocker »

Store in freezer, it will go colourless! then bring back to room temp. return to brown (reversable reaction)
doesn't answer your question about storing regulations but who will know out-of-sight in freezer. out-of-mind
Merry Christmas :lol:
hookee

nitrogen dioxide

Post by hookee »

if you go to this web site you will find all the information you require
chemwatchdb.det.nsw.edu.au
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks Hookie but for some reason i am unable to access that site. Any chance you could email me the information - cut and paste it into a document and then email me it?? i would appreicate it.
CHeers
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Ok just thought i would quickly update i have made a call to Air Liquide and now have a MSDS for the stuff - they are unsure how i could have got hold of such things was not from them :) not to worry will cross that bridge should it ever come up!.

thanks everyone for your help though.
Teresa

Post by Teresa »

Hi Annette,
Could the sealed glass tubes have come through the Regional Technician's Group? If so then they could give you information on them.
Regards
Teresa
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

any ideas

Post by fibreweb »

I also have a large coffe jar that contains three such tubes. On investigation from the Chemistry teacher that has been here forever, they were actually made by the Head Teacher Science over 10 years ago.

They first sealed one end of the large glass tube, generated the gas from Nitric Acid and copper and trappped it in the tube. The tube was the everted and the other end sealed.

What would be the Risk Assessment and OH & S implications of such a prac now days be?

Wendy :lol:
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Hey there Wendy
Do you get them out and use them at all??

We do - i have laminated the MSDS and will put with items but it seem that teachers do not do risk assessments here so it is up to them. I have them now labelled and marked.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Any ideas

Post by fibreweb »

Hi Annette

They come out once a year at the relevant point in the Senior Chemistry syllabus.

This chat made me realise that they wern't on my Chemical register nor did I have a MSDS for them, so this morning I have done both.

Wendy :lol: