how to label solutions

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
monso
State/Location: NSW

how to label solutions

Post by monso »

Hi I am new at this. can someone explain how to access the labels from det or chem watch so i can create,print off and use on my solutions.
ta
monso :unsure:
merilyn

Re: how to label solutions

Post by merilyn »

Hi Monso
On Chemwatch, you can select the label option when you are doing a search for chemicals, the label option "button" is with the MSDS, mini MSDS options. I'm using the ChemFFX version and on this, these options are on the left hand side.
The DET labels were already in use here when I came (I'm still new-ish too), but I did find the template on a DET website but I can't remember exactly where! I copy the DET labels onto a Dymo label and print with that. The DET labels cover the basics, but the Chemwatch labels have a lot of info on them - I'm trying to decide if they have too much information, although my OH&S heart lies in that direction.
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

Monso
If you would like a copy of the small det lables email me and I will email them to you.They are for small dropper bottles that might help you ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Welcome to labbie land, monso! Best wishes with your transition to the job.

This a great place to find answers - there are no silly questions on this site... and everyone's willing to share their considerable knowledge.

It's our best resource (and sanity saver), so enjoy
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I found for me the easiest way for me to make labels was to set up a template in Microsoft Publisher following the set up of the original CSIS labels.

Upon opening Publisher I selected Business cards.
Selected Blank Sizes then the business card that was 8.5 x 5.5 cm.

Onto this blank card I Inserted 6 text Boxes
1. the Chemical with the strength and formula
2. Safety instructions copied from the CSIS manual
3 User group
4 Suppliers name and number or the preparation date and preparers name
5 DG symbol if necessary
6 UN number if necessary
Design 1A039.jpg
As You can see I have added the appropriate colour to the User Group box and around the chemical name.
When ever I need a label for a new chemical I bring up the template or another chemical with similar name or properties and alter the template then save with the name of the new chemical. I now have labels for over 90 chemicals that can be altered and printed either one to a page or 8 to a page. I have made postcard size labels for my Winchesters.

I hope this all makes sense, I tried to attatch the publisher file 3 times but couldn't and lost all my writing each time :w00t: so I scanned a label instead so you can see the general format.

Wendy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Wow Wendy - they look great!
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello and welcome!
This is a question I have asked too.
The following attachment is what I use. - suspect the same as labbie.

I just cut and paste the labels I need into another Word document and then print them off on the corresponding coloured paper - green paper for 7-12, orange for 11-12, red for teachers. Then cover them with clear contact and they last really well.
Works really well for the teachers as they cannot deny they didn't know the chemical wasn't safe to use for a particular age group. :D

Enjoy!

Searchie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Search Engine
amandag
State/Location: VIC

Post by amandag »

Hello
If you have a spare $198.00 the following site sells a chemical label program....http://www.omegascientific.com.au/label_maker.htm.
It saves the cutting and pasting, allows 2 size labels..and editing is allowed..a great starting point..
Amanda
monso

Post by monso »

Thanx everyone for such great advice
monso