Corrosive Liquids cabinet

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
The Search Engine
State/Location: NSW

Corrosive Liquids cabinet

Post by The Search Engine »

Hey folks,
Has anyone had any trouble with their corrosive liquids cabinet corroding? No I'm not kidding :banghead:

I was putting back the conc HCl this morning and the handle came right off in my hand and fell to pieces on the floor.
Hmm. I had noticed earlier when I was getting the HCl out (wearing my gas mask as the fumes will knock you over - interestingly never had this problem with the conc acids in "bunded" containers on a shelf) that there was a little dribble of rust coloured liquid running from the handle to the floor.

I have phoned the supplier and they want to charge me for a new handle - "maintenance" apparently and suggested that I should regularly wipe out the cabinet. :crazy:

I have never spilled a drop in the cabinet and all lids are fine.

Any suggestions/similar experiences?

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: Corrosive Liquids cabinet

Post by lizzieb »

Here I was wishing I had one of those in my chemstore!

Hmm, maybe not .... :-( 8O :crazy:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

That's a real problem. It seems the equipment isn't up to the task! My question is, did the supplier tell you, or provide written instructions regarding the maintenance eg wiping the cupboard out, when you purchased it? If they didn't I think they are at fault, and the cabinet is insufficient for it's advertised use. Even if a bottle is leaking, isn't that the purpose of the cupboard?
I don't envy you having to wipe out this cupboard regularly - make sure you wear some good protective equipment.

M.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I have seen this problem for many years, unfortunately the corrosive cabinet is only used to segregate the Class 8 Chems from the rest. Unfortunately these cabinets are powder coated hi carbon steel. These will infact corrode and do require wiping out occasionally. The Australian Standards only suggest these cabinets are sturdy, made from steel and have a lockable door handle.

What most people don't know is that there are gases that permeate through the bottles or lids for that matter that lead to a build up of corrosive liquids at the surface of the bottle. This is then allowed to drip onto the surface of the cabinet where if left, will corrode the cabinet.

A corrosive cabinet does not mean that it is corrosion proof but rather if attended to and looked after will provide many years of trouble free storage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Mau23
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: The Geelong College - Middle School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Mau23 »

We brought a corrosive cupboard last year. It is a polyethylene cupboard, so it won't corrode. They only metal on it is the keys to look the cupboard. We love it, work really well.
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

Yes polyethylene is the way to go
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Have been thinking about the lids on your bottles, Patti. Robb mentioned it too.

Double check that they are all plastic and replace any old bakelite ones, as these are porous and allow outgasing to occur.

You can buy new 'white wadded' lids for all sizes from Serrata, although they aren't listed in the catalogue.
This is one of the things I did at THS, and am doing here.

Best wishes - remember, your health is the most important consideration....
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Polythene are a good choice particularly when there are long storage items in the cupboard.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Thank you all for your input. I really love being able to ask a group of really smart people!! :thumbup:
It is a HDHPE cupboard so is made of the right stuff although there are metal screws in the hinges that are rusty after just over 12 months. Had the expectation that it would handle tougher conditions than I am placing it under.

I will be heading in to the chemical store shortly to wipe everything down. Just need to suit up. :D

I only have 2 x 2.5L plastic bottles of HCl and 2 x 500ml glass bottles of sulfuric acid with plastic lids so the actual containers should not be a problem. I did have one bottle of sulfuric still in its little cardboard box which interestingly disentegrates on touch. Can only imagine the tumours I am growing!! :crazy:

I think my best solution is not to replace the handle (the supplier did want to charge me for it) as it leaves a circular hole in the door approx 60mm in diameter that will reduce build up of fumes. That way we can be slowly infected instead of getting an almighty gush as was the case previously.

Cheers,

Searchie (Patti)
The Search Engine
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

My cabinet is very corrided aswell it is about four years old. The self closing mechanism on the door doesn't work anymore because the bracket attaching it to the inside of the cabinet has corroded away and fallen off. I have to wipe it out all the time because the fumes condense and settle. The next one we get (hopefully soon) will be of th eplastic variety and may even spring to get it vented so that there is minimal fume build up.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

I am hoping to get new dangerous goods cabinets (both corrosive and flammable) in the near future. I noticed on one of the supplier's sites in the blurb about the corrosive cabinet this advice:-

A small dish of calcium carbonate in the cabinet will help to neutralise the atmosphere

Might be worth a try!
Krysia Lee
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi
just read this post with great interest. Went to the corrosive cupboard just now for the first time in a while. There are two shelves, the bottom of top shelf is wet to touch and the bottles on the shelf below it are covered in white dust!!!!????? Has anyone else had this happen?
Krysia
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

When I first started at this school. I had 10 empty bottles, my guess is they had evaporated over the years. After cleaning out the corrosive cabinet, of white dust and empty bottles. I quick wipe once a year seems to do the trick. I had no idea what the white dust was, but it seems fine now.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

I am in the process of checking out various polyethylene corrosive cupboards and would like to know from those who already have these cupboards the pros and cons of these cupboards. I am interested in both the Storemasta and the Pratt but would like to know if there are any others that could be recommended. Also comments on both vented and unvented cupboards.
Lyn.
rosaliemb

Post by rosaliemb »

My problem with corrosive cabinet is that some ol the labels go brown and can't read them or just disintegrate. Any suggestione?
But i will be more vigilent with wiping shelves.

Rosalie (another one) :D