Annual Chemical Stock Take

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
The Search Engine
State/Location: NSW

Annual Chemical Stock Take

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi folks,

I have been very busily counting bottles and jars for the end of Term 1 stock take - read the CSIS which says "The relevant section of this Dangerous Goods Licence Declaration must be completed and signed by the principal at the end of term one each year."

Do people really do this??? I ask because my dear principal is in complete bewilderment about it all.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW - found some nasties!!

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: Annual Chemical Stock Take

Post by J »

I do it once a year, but just whenever i get around to it, not at any specific time.

J
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

I do it once a year - but when it suits me - when I have a quiet time (not that that happens very often)

KIMMY
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I do ours once a year, during term 4 while exams are on. The Principal signs it each year, keeps a copy, and files it away.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I do my stocktake around mid year, no one has said it needs to at a particular time, so it gets done when convenient, same as other. I also send a copy to our Business Manager and HOD.

Cheers
Lisa
Dromana
State/Location: VIC

Post by Dromana »

I do my chemical stocktake at the end of the year when it is the activity week(no Pracs this week). I then hand a copy the our St John First Aid Officer who keeps all manifests in a file .
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

I have just done mine the school does it all at once then I data enter it on to the computer a copy goes to the Office untill next year.
Lurra aka Noona
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I do mine - and have it on my computer ... and no one ever wants it or has it or sees it.. my HOD asks me if it is done and doesnt want to see it or know anything about it!
When I have tried to explain to them all the work that I have to do with Risk Assessments and the Register, and that I needed time to do it [ie someone to come in to do the lab work while I completed the paperwork] I was told "don't do it" ????? when I said that we legally have to have all this done ..." too bad, just dont do it"... :oops:
japezz
State/Location: NZ

Post by japezz »

I leave a copy at the office with other stuff given to the fire department if they come so they know what they're dealing with.
The Search Engine

Hello Lurra/Noona/Rosalie! Gosh that name's nearly as long as The Search Engine!

Sounds like we are on the same page. I did encourage the other departments to do theirs - which they have done in a fashion, obviously with not the same talent and precision as a lab assistant. :cheesy:
I'm actually quite happy to have it all done by the end of the term. Wipe the forehead and get my piles of disposals ready so that next year I spend less time in the flammable liquids cupboard - had a headache for two days afterwards.

Thanks all, for your replies. Great resource - the Principal is always impressed when he has a "legal" question about chemicals or OH&S and asks me to go the "Brains Trust"! That's you!

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
coxy

Post by coxy »

I'm with Sunray18 - I do my stocktake every year (just for Science, not the entire school). I also have it on my computer on a spreadsheet. Nobody has ever (in 13 years) asked to see it, checked it, wanted to see or check it; nor has anyone ever asked how, why or when I do the stocktake. Never, ever!
So I therefore consider that I can throw out the chemicals I know have not been used from one year to the next, which I do. Nobody ever asks me about that, either. The chemicals just "seem to disappear". Nobody knows or cares!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Coxy,

I need t do a chemical clean out. Do you get a disposal company to take the chemicals away??

Ta Lorrae
curie

Post by curie »

I haven't been here long, but I did the whole school at the end of last year through chemwatch , kept a copy here, and sent a copy to the head office. (Is this general practice?) But I don't think anyone looks at it and no-one asked to sign it. Can you tell me where it says the principal should sign it? And how many do?
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

we've got a new relieving prinicpal, and the first thing her asked for was an updated chemical stocktake for his reference.
ARGH! so guess where my head has been all morning - yep in the flammables cupboard -i got the rest of it done before the faculty review but no one asked me for it.

I have a very nicely set out comprehensive list of what we have, its code and how much we have of it - in the folder they gave me, is a very long list of it looks like every chemical known to man.
Will my list suffice? I mean if the fire brigade wanna know what we have, better for them to see exactly, not flip thru pages of carp????
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I used to use the list from CSIS but eventually did my own excel spread sheet based on the CSIS. Everything is in DG class and I have the amount we have plus the MSDS expiry date. I do our inventory once a year in November and give the Business manager a copy and keep one in the filing cabinet.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The Search Engine wrote:Hi folks,

I have been very busily counting bottles and jars for the end of Term 1 stock take - read the CSIS which says "The relevant section of this Dangerous Goods Licence Declaration must be completed and signed by the principal at the end of term one each year."

Do people really do this??? I ask because my dear principal is in complete bewilderment about it all.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW - found some nasties!!

Cheers,

Searchie
Sorry it has taken me this long to get around to answering this. When the CSIS first came out about 10 years ago. We all had to do a stocktake The first ever, and send it to the DET, to see if any one needed a license to carry chemicals, think only Hurlstone got one (A license I mean). This had to be done by term 1 2000. Principals were also trained in the CSIS along with DP's and head teachers. But as i say that was 11 years ago.
Regards Labbie

Ilona
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Glenmore Park High
Suburb: Glenmore Park

Post by Ilona »

Hi

I am the new temporary labby here. I did a chemical stocktake last year. A very slow process. Does anybody have a system or a template they use to do the stocktake? I have something set up on spreadsheet but am not happy the way it is set up. I also counted dropper bottles as well I hope I was meant to do that. :unsure: Any ideas would be appreciated :beg:
Ilona -Glemore Park High
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

DEECD have an elaborate Chemical Register, everything even whiteout!
I dont have the original, only my stocktaked copy. And my computer is rubbish. OH&S lady gave it to the Assistant Prin who then gave it to me.
Might be on their www.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Your stock take is only of your STOCK, not diluted solutions, or half opened solids, only the STOCK, which would be in your chem store or again perhaps it is called a STOCK room. Some private systems do this, but if you are a DEC school, which I think you are. The CSIS only requires us to do this stock take.
Regards Labbie

The Search Engine

Hi Labbie,
I did the whole stock take - solutions and all, as I didn't know any better.
I am happy with it though because I went through and tossed out a lot of unnecessary stuff.
Then in August we have a chemical clean up at the local tip and the Farm Assistant took away all my nasties.
Stock take should be much easier next year.
:D
Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine