LEAD NITRATE

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Re: LEAD NITRATE

Post by Milo »

We swapped out our dropper bottles for 0.002M solutions. Precipitation pracs are next week so I'll report back if they work.
J.Speaks
Job Title: Senior Lab Manager
School: Townsville Grammar School
State/Location: QLD

Post by J.Speaks »

That would be great, thanks Milo! =D>
semper ubi sub ubi :thumbup:
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

We did an early trial to make sure it worked, and there was indeed a bright, immediate reaction between potassium iodide 0.1M and lead nitrate 0.002M. Perfectly viable in my view. :)
J.Speaks
Job Title: Senior Lab Manager
School: Townsville Grammar School

Post by J.Speaks »

Nice! Looks like I better get to work diluting all of our stock, thanks for checking on that Milo! :thumbup:
semper ubi sub ubi :thumbup:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've offered the more dilute form to teachers and they seemed a bit unimpressed, without even trying it out! Occasionally, one will do it as a demo but not often. I'm happy, because regardless of what the students get to use, I have to handle the solid. I haven't had to make up new solution in years.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

If you get a reaction and change with the more dilute solution...I'd just put it out and not say anything to the teachers in future. If anyone gets agro...just plead the safety line :)
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Anna Z wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 08:51 If you get a reaction and change with the more dilute solution...I'd just put it out and not say anything to the teachers in future. If anyone gets agro...just plead the safety line :)
Ha - they don't get agro, more just disappointed - kind of like if I'd told them the college has banned cake. :?
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Merilyn1 wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 09:28
Anna Z wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 08:51 If you get a reaction and change with the more dilute solution...I'd just put it out and not say anything to the teachers in future. If anyone gets agro...just plead the safety line :)
Ha - they don't get agro, more just disappointed - kind of like if I'd told them the college has banned cake. :?
:cheesy: that made me laugh a lot :)
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I've been asked for "at least 100ml per group" of lead nitrate and potassium iodide. I will make up 0.001M lead nitrate but that is a lot, right? I will talk to the teacher to see if they can reduce it to 10ml per group (or ask if it was a typo?) and get the same outcome (conservation of mass - yr 9). He's currently on class so I can't check right now. Also, the potassium iodide is meant to be used in a fume cupboard according to risk assess. Would you give out those quantities? We have 50ml dropper bottles, so would you just send out a stock solution bottle for them to pour into beakers?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

That is a ridiculous amount! No they are not getting that much. Do you have spotting trays? (Ceramic tiles with small wells). With these they only need a few drops of the chemical.
We have given up using lead nitrate. I am so pleased, because although we worry about what the students handle, no one stops to think that we have to handle the solid!
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Too much in my opinion.
Definitely in droppers for sure and spotting trays
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

OK so after clarifying with the teacher he will need 100ml for the 2 classes! Not each group. All good! :thumbup:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC

Post by bigmack »

RosalieL wrote: 07 May 2021, 11:39 OK so after clarifying with the teacher he will need 100ml for the 2 classes! Not each group. All good! :thumbup:
Great , so now you'll only have 200mls of heavy metal waste to deal with :D

Precipitant of Lead Nitrate and Potassium Iodide is white .It won't show in a spotting plate well .

For Precipitation pracs , I now draw up a word doc and print it onto overhead Projector sheets .
When placed on the black Lab benches , the colours show very clearly .Only drops needed not ml's of solution and no test tubes to wash afterwards .
precipitaion sheet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

It's for conservation of mass though, not just precipitation. They must be weighing it before and after. Love the table on OHP sheets though!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Lead nitrate and potassium iodide makes a bright yellow precipitate. Instant gratification and spectacular result. Silver nitrate and potassium iodide makes a white precipitate. Not as spectacular. We use sodium hydroxide 0.1M and copper sulfate 0.1M for conservation of mass practical. We are using the Pearson Science 9 textbook.