MSDS updating issue

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
fiona
State/Location: VIC

MSDS updating issue

Post by fiona »

I am in the middle of slowly updating all our MSDSs.

I know that all the sheets should come from the manufacturer or supplier but what happens if these people are bought out or go bust? I have quite a few chemicals from BDH, which was bought out by VWR and while I can find the old MSDS sheets for these chemicals they are not being updated anymore. So what's a girl to do? Does anyone know the policy on this, because it is driving me bonkers!!
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: MSDS updating issue

Post by Rowyrow »

Can you contact VWR and see where they stand on the issue. Does it have to be the manufactureres MSDS?. What about the chemgold MSDS's are they manufactureres ones?
fiona

Post by fiona »

we don't have chemgold or chemwatch. Its on the budget for next year (if all goes according to plan) but I'm not sure where to find state/federal legislation if this is sufficient. We don't have a science policy (yet) so I'm pretty much on my own.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Your work cover, or what ever it is called. Should have the laws on this for you. It is so very hard for you working blind so to speak.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Voice

Post by Voice »

This happened to me when MSDS first became law. 3 quarters of my chemicals came from non existent suppliers. I am at a government school in Victoria.
This was before Chemwatch.
I just found a website that had thousands of MSDS from many, many suppliers and used those.
Some years later I had a Worksafe inspection and as these MSDS sheets also used the Australian HAZCHEM codes, they were accepted by the inspector.
Worksafe have an advice line in Victoria.
Try it :rolleyes: .

Maree
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I use Chem-Supply msds, Ajax online msds (Lomb Scientific) which gives you online msds for ACOHS and ocassionally asks for a password and ID (I log off and then on again) and J.T.Baker which carries Australian standards as well as American and NZ standards. I think as long as the msds is up to date you shouldn't be crucified. I tracked down one brand of chemical which had been onsold to another company and when I rang to try and get an msds the woman said they didn't supply msds for the old label. So I just utilise the best online advice and source from the three mentioned. Most brand names of household chemicals and cleaning products also have msds's that you can get online.
Lyn.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Great avatar, Fiona! :w00t: :crazy: =D> \:D/
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I spent many hours trying to track down MSDS - I managed to find out which company bought out which, and so on.. down the years until today.. BUT that doesnt mean I can get updated MSDS..
I have so many chemicals from the old Gov Stores NSW and I have not been able to fond out who bought out their chemical supplies.. so I just use the generic ones from Chemwatch - I reckon that since I have honestly and earnestly tried to comply and find the manufacturer and I cannot do so, a generic one is better than no MSDS at all...
wouldnt it be ironic if a Government department fined me for not having updated MSDS for chemicals that were sold by a Government department..ironic but not funny
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

just come from a chemwatch course and you can use a chemwatch msds in this instance. if they don't have one you can get them to get one for you
fiona

Post by fiona »

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew I could count on all of you to give me the answers no one else can! WorkSafe hasn't been able to give an answer just yet. I'm going to push to put Chemwatch in the budget for next year. Sound like a plan.

Oh Lizzieb,thanks. Isn't she cute? Although I keep expecting her to shake the thing one too many times and blow herself up!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

He he he :crazy: :w00t:

I agree, Fiona - gee I'd love to see that! :cheesy:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fiona

Post by fiona »

Well all. I finally got a response from WorkSafe. For all you Victorians out there: this is all we have to do, and I quote:

"As per the 2007 OH&S Regulations Part 4.1.7 MSDS's have to updated every five years. If you have an old MSDS for these products that is greater then five years old and if they are no longer available you can continue to use the existing MSDS. Just put a new date on the MSDS starting from now and put a note on it along the lines of: "MSDS no longer available from supplier". "
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

If i am unable to get the msds from the company that produce the chemical (as previously posted here the online chemical msds sites) i use chemsupply as the general genertic msds and write on the top of the msds why this is being used and not the one by the company that made the chemical.

i do suggest you check your msds's when you get them from the chemical producers - i have had a few instances where the msds i recieved from a chemical producer was not their own but one from chemsupply -not leagal as their name was on the chemical but not on the supplied msds. Work safe wont know this so hunt them down and ask why. document why you are using an msds that is not of the chemical producers name. cover yourself is what i am saying i guess.