Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
coxy
State/Location: NSW

Re: Collection of Hazardous waste in NSW

Post by coxy »

OK, the collection has happened. Pickup was with Transpacific, basic cost for my 5kgs was $166 plus numerous other expenses shared by about 25 schools from Ballina to Bulahdelah. (Approximately $800 all up I think). The pickup guys were polite, friendly, and we actually didn't need to sort anything - they just carried it into the truck in boxes and I signed their form, all done. Arrived, collected, signed all within 4 minutes! Well done.
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Waste removal companies

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi Everyone
I've just had a guy come and collect the waste. I was gobsmacked when my carefully labelled and packed box of flammable liquids in glass bottles was picked up and hurled a great distance into the back of a truck atop a mountain of otto bins. The same company last year sent a bloke with ute to pick a drum with sodium and calcium in it, it was a drizzly afternoon and I watched in horror as he tied it with some rope on the tray of the ute . "Ah its raining and you shouldn't get that wet" says I. "oh okay I'll put it at my girlfriends feet then". Hmmmmm Maybe they were ready to break up or something. So my question is does anyone know a good waste company to use in the Sydney area?
Another huge problem , can anyone tell this computer illerate how to put smilies in the posts, they're so funny.
Thanks for all your help this year
Krysia
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This thread should help you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
carolmay

Pick up or deliver unknown chemical centre

Post by carolmay »

Hi All,

I am in Kingscliff N.S.W. and could anyone have details of a company who picks up unknown chemicals please.
Thank you.
Labbie

Re: Pick up or deliver unknown chemical centre

Post by Labbie »

Please so a search (top right hand corner) for Chemical waste.
Regards Labbie

curie

Post by curie »

Can anyone direct me to some regs that say how chemicals must be transported and disposed of? (eg licensed contractor, specified vehicle) I know its expensive but I want to make sure it is done safely.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I sent you PM hope it helps. :coffee:
curie

Post by curie »

I pm'ed your pm. :-)
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I had no idea that "DET will arrange statewide chemical collections for government schools every three years" - taken out of CSIS, Figure E-5: Recommended waste bottles.

I have been here for over three years and they certainly haven't done anything in that time! Can anyone shed any light? I don't want to waste any money if I don't have to...
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I believe it is coming next year. They started in 1999 did a very large pick up, then after that it was small ones. But through so many labbies asking for a free pick up, we have been lead to believe it will be next year.
Regards Labbie

Prima

Post by Prima »

That's great news - I will wait a bit longer. Thanks Sue
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

This is good news
I have not been around when this has happened in the past.
What is the procedure ?
Do we have to apply for collection or does a truck just turn up ?
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Well I've been here 16 years, so I should have had 5 collections!
But the only time my chemical waste has been collected was when we paid for it. So that's happened twice. And last time it cost about $800.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Yeah I'm a bit nervous about paying for collection . Labbie I know around the area contacted a waste disposal company and was told around $1000 based on the weights she told them . When they came , the bill was for over $1500 because the weight also includes the jars and containers not just the weight of the chemicals . Suffice to say it blew out the budget for the year .

So a free pick up sounds like gold .
mazza

Post by mazza »

Chemical waste collection and Bio Hazard Waste should come out of the school waste budget - check with SAM
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

It took me 2.5 years to sort through everything aka equipment, chemicals and reduce and chuck ... so keep it up sharon you will get there ... We disposed of our chemicals last year and its so enlightening ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
ferret

Post by ferret »

Hi all, I organised a chemical pick up for my school through Transpacific back in 2015. I sent them a detailed list of what I had and the individual weight including the packaging. They arrived with special barrels for different categories of chemicals.It was quick and well managed. The cost for the 60 kg I disposed of was approx $800. This was not taken out of the Science budget as it was a WHS issue to have these chemicals in the school. I feel much better going into the chemical storeroom now :)
Prima

Post by Prima »

Labbie wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 11:51 I believe it is coming next year. They started in 1999 did a very large pick up, then after that it was small ones. But through so many labbies asking for a free pick up, we have been lead to believe it will be next year.
Any idea how we can ask for one of the free pick ups? Is there someone we can email - perhaps if we all bombard one person weekly, something might happen???
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

I have just had two chemical clean ups at two schools.Used Cleanway they charge $18/kg. No problems. I picked up the brochure at a conference at Sydney Grammar.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

How is bombarding coming along???????? That sounds OK LIttlesttube not a bad price.
Regards Labbie