Stools in labs

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Stools in labs

Post by Mother »

Hi all
Now that we have finished assessments for Yrs.11 and 12.My head teacher and myself have been having a discussion about stools in our labs.We are both of the opinion that they should be removed from all labs and stored for future assessments only.Is there a ruling for DET schools in NSW as to the safety aspects of having stools in labs???
Your replies would be much appreciated
Cheers
Mother
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: Stools in labs

Post by lurra »

Mother do you have chairs for the kid to sit on???
Do you have a wet & dry area in the labs??
The new lab's only have 1 stool that is for the teacher.
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We were told it was because their is NO back support for the young students. OH&S thinge.

Not banned but not a good idea, to have in the labs.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

Our new lab has a wet/dry classroom so students have access to tables and chairs in the dry classroom. Stools are only ever brought out for senior students if needed in the lab otherwise they stand. If we kept stools permanently in the wet area, the junior students would not be able to resist rocking on them which would result in damaged lino.
dime

Post by dime »

We were told that there were to be no stools in the wet area, of the new labs. This area is for pracs only.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

We got rid of our stools too, kids left them all over the place, then it becomes an OH&S prob, we only have 1 for the teachers to use.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

would love to get rid of ours, there are about 10 in each lab, but every prac exam, i have a teacher who insists on his students all having a stool to sit on (he draws me pictures on how he wants the prac set up incl the stool) - so then i have to carry them 2 at a time in so his class can have them. Its time consuming and a pain in the butt! I vote for no stools, if they stand, they are more likely to be focused and get the task done rather than rock on it!
dime

Post by dime »

Gee Narelle, stools aren't science equipment and therefore not your responsibility. Since when are we furniture removalists! In our school (DET one) we have a GA who's responsibility it is to set up the hall for exams etc. and move the appropriate furniture. Just imagine asking him to set up a lab with stools. :cheesy: I know what you'd get told. And as we said, it is a no go with stools in the wet area, because of OH & S.
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

narelle,narelle!!!!!!!........the teacher carries the stools to and from the room ..or....he arranges for the students to do it.This is an OH&S issue and maybe you should discuss this with your head of faculty and your Sam...and if no satisfaction there the principal is the next step.
Remember we labbies are a rare breed,hard to find a new one if they wear you out, and we are to be cherised and not used as slave labour.

I SAY USE THE STUDENTS!
Mother

Post by Mother »

Hey, all you chemtalkers
Thanks sooooooo.... much for your replies. I am now convinced that there are to be NOstools in labs due to the safety of the students!!!!! I thought this was so, but I just needed your input on the matter. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Take care
Mother
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I realise I am jumping in late on this one, but my understanding is that stools shouldn't be used because if something is knocked over kids can't react to move out of the way. If they are sitting on a stool and their tripod is knocked, hot liquid lands all over their lap because they can't get out of the way whereas if they are standing, they can quickly take a step back. May still get some splash, but not nearly as much as if they were seated on a stool. We have a couple of stools floating around and I'm always telling kids to get off them and I take them back to the front of the room for the teachers. I don't get how teachers don't notice one kid sitting while the rest of the class stands... or why those kids think they are special enough to sit down when noone else does!
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

We've got tall chairs with backs that double as prac 'stools'. For the reasons listed above kids stand for all pracs except when they're using microscopes.
When we designed our senior labs about 10 years ago, we went for with the same height for our classroom tables & prac benches around the edge of the labs, so the stools double as normal chairs & prac stools.
Stools.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Bindi we have the same deal as you in one of our labs but the other lab has normal desks with chairs and then a massive pile of the tall chairs in the corner which I hate because they are NEVER stacked neatly and they are always in the way. Very much a OH&S issue and if I had it my way they would go!
Mother

Post by Mother »

Just wanted to let you know that all the stools (30 in all) have been taken from the labs with help from the students, but guess what? Yesterday one lovely lady was sitting on the desk because (in her words) there was no f...... stool!!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I am constantly popping into classes to tell students to get OFF the chairs or the benches when they are doing pracs.
SAFETY FIRST - IF something spills over that is hot or dangerous or whatever, when they are sitting down, they cannot move fast enough to get out of the way. ALSo if they are seated on a normal chair, anything that may explode or spill is virtually at their eye level - and I am always telling them their eyes can't be replaced.
Those that sit on benches are in danger because, again, they cant move fast enough, but also because they may be sitting on a chemical spill, which will soak into their clothes.
I have tall senior students who KNEEL to make the burette or measuring cylinder reading at their eye level! I ask them whatever is wrong with lifting it up to eye level?

I have problems with some of our Junior classes with our bunsen burners. Some teachers insist that the bunsens must sit on a heat mat??? I patiently explain to students that the base of the bunsen does not get hot, but the item that is over the flame does get hot. Where are they going to put the item that they are heating when they take it off the flame? The reply is either a look of absolute blankness or 'on the bench'!! Isn't that what a heat mat is for? Some older text books have a picture in them of this set-up, wouldn't you think teachers would THINK about it?