Colours of MSDS's

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
The Search Engine
State/Location: NSW

Re: Colours of MSDS's

Post by The Search Engine »

Thanks Sue.
Found nothing in my desk but I am off to relieve in the student office now so I will check out the internet for CSIS stuff.

Patti
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Patti,

I keep my Appendix D in a separate folder, where I can access it easily. Maybe your previous labby did something similar?
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I have done the same and have it within easy reach, but she may have put it somewhere safe :giggle:
cheers
Lisa
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:D :D :w00t: So glad this has come up as Im just in the process of doing a chemstore stocktake, and dont know how to find the mini MSDS I can find the full versions on Chemwatch but just cant locate the minis, I know its there somewhere!! any help please!!!!

Cheers MariaC
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello all - I think it must be in a very very safe place :crazy:

On a positive note I followed Sue's advice and hunted around on the net for CSIS stuff. The first link the department supplied couldn't find a file but then I searched a little deeper (the good little search engine that I am :D ) and found a site that I remember vaguely from another exploration for info......
https://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/assetmana ... chemicals/

I like it :thumbup:

Thank you everyone. I have made progress today!! Now where's the wine and chocolate?? (still looking for a chocolate eating smiley)

Cheers,

Patti
The Search Engine
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
Can I just tell you that if you are a STATE SCHOOL[/b] you don not have to print MSDS as we use Chemwatch and the dept has said that we only have to go to the web site and look at the MSDS as the Frie Dept also uses chemwatch and they are not interested in MSDS so why are you printing them.
I know Sue you said that you emailed Glen Sawle
Did you get an email back????
I just think that the powers that be should send out some sort of info to let us all know and not just a few :redcard: :redcard:
Noona
P.S. for all the school that follow CSIS Package I would think it is the same???
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I never did hear from Glen, I really did not expect to. I believe that it is up to the school, to decided elec storage of MSDS or paper. If they school chooses elec storage, a computer must be on chemwatch 24/7 and not turned off. I got back to my trainer a few weeks ago. And that is what she reminded me off. Most schools chose paper, lets be honest how many of us have computers in a prep room???????? As far as my husband tells me, not every fire engine has a computer on board.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
You miss my point
why print aout MSDS if you don't have to I have had a look in CSIS and can't find anything that tells me that I have to print them and keep them or maybe I am blind
You must remember that if you print one out today 3 days down the track it is out of date so thats a waste of paper i would think.
Noona
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I print out the MSDS because NO one has told me not too. No one can show me in writting, that I do not have to do it. And my head teacher agrees with me on this item. Which is very rare indeed.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

We're in the Catholic system, I guess it's alot different.
I have a file with all my mini MSDS in it, which are only reprinted five years from issue date or when need be.

I have a practical sheet which goes out with each prac., I attach the MSDS to that, if there is an accident the MSDS and the child go together to Sickbay/hospital.
In the case of myself and Bromine the hospital didn't have a clue, and referred to the MSDS I took with me.

All the office has is a site plan of where chemicals are stored and a list of Dangerous goods totals for each store.

I know if my stores were on fire I wouldn't be going anywhere near it. It wouldn't matter how much info I had.
:coffee:
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi,
I agree with Noona on the MSDS printing. I was at the same course and this is what we were told for DET schools. The stocktake of all chemicals in the school has to be in a hard copy form and kept in the office so if there is a fire, the fire brigade can see what chemicals are stored in each area.They can also access Chemwatch from the office computers. After the course I spoke to the Principal about the MSDS and we now have the chemwatch icon on every desktop so staff can access the MSDS .

The hardest thing in this job is the lack of information about new procedures and changes to current ones. I don't know if my head teacher receives updated info on chemwatch or CSIS package. I'm sure if he did he would let me know. The only way I find out new things is through science workshops, Chemtalk and St Mary's Science conference. I would also trust that if the Chief Education Officer, Science for DET schools says that I don't need to print MSDS anymore then that is the case. One less job for me :D I also have a computer in the prep room only took 9 months of pestering to get!

Rosemary
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

This MSDS thing is a regular pain in the neck :yuck: and I can't think realistically that the expectation is for you to check each chemical as you use it, you'd never get anything done :? ! All my MSDS' are no older than five years old and approx. each mid-year I check those that need renewing. I have two copies of both full and mini MSDS' with one set being stored in the front office where a copy of our chem manifest is kept as well (that is where our sick bay is).
As a labby, I think as long as we show that we have a system to regularly update MSDS', we cant get into any serious trouble. Most of time it is a question of "duty of care". I've probably got it all wrong, but that is how I interpret this issue.
Lou P.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Maria,

Don't think your query has been answered yet. When you go into Chemwatch, make sure you click on to Advanced User - the graduation hat symbol on the left. Then when you bring up a chemical, you'll see a list of options down the left side. Mini MSDS is the top one.

Hope this helps,
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!