Colours of MSDS's

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

Re: Colours of MSDS's

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi,
I agree with Noona on the MSDS printing. I was at the same course and this is what we were told for DET schools. The stocktake of all chemicals in the school has to be in a hard copy form and kept in the office so if there is a fire, the fire brigade can see what chemicals are stored in each area.They can also access Chemwatch from the office computers. After the course I spoke to the Principal about the MSDS and we now have the chemwatch icon on every desktop so staff can access the MSDS .

The hardest thing in this job is the lack of information about new procedures and changes to current ones. I don't know if my head teacher receives updated info on chemwatch or CSIS package. I'm sure if he did he would let me know. The only way I find out new things is through science workshops, Chemtalk and St Mary's Science conference. I would also trust that if the Chief Education Officer, Science for DET schools says that I don't need to print MSDS anymore then that is the case. One less job for me :D I also have a computer in the prep room only took 9 months of pestering to get!

Rosemary
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

This MSDS thing is a regular pain in the neck :yuck: and I can't think realistically that the expectation is for you to check each chemical as you use it, you'd never get anything done :? ! All my MSDS' are no older than five years old and approx. each mid-year I check those that need renewing. I have two copies of both full and mini MSDS' with one set being stored in the front office where a copy of our chem manifest is kept as well (that is where our sick bay is).
As a labby, I think as long as we show that we have a system to regularly update MSDS', we cant get into any serious trouble. Most of time it is a question of "duty of care". I've probably got it all wrong, but that is how I interpret this issue.
Lou P.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Maria,

Don't think your query has been answered yet. When you go into Chemwatch, make sure you click on to Advanced User - the graduation hat symbol on the left. Then when you bring up a chemical, you'll see a list of options down the left side. Mini MSDS is the top one.

Hope this helps,
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!