Do we know pracs in advance/provide classroom service?

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
lygray
State/Location: NSW

Re: Do we know pracs in advance/provide classroom service?

Post by lygray »

Hi everyone this is my first time on Chemtalk, thank you so much for all your help, I have only been in the job for two years and feel I'm beginning to get a handle on it now!
We have 6 labs and 8 teachers put their requests on a board with 24 hrs notice. most teachers are very good. I love the job, as in all jobs some days are better than others. it is always interesting.
Have a relaxing break
Lyn :-)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Welcome Lyn :D
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I have a 48hours prac request time. My teachers fill out their requests and do a "tick the box" risk assessment on the back of the form. This is to make them aware of the basics, really. With our Yrs 8 - 10, we are following a program, which I have a copy of, and using textbooks, which I have on CD. So teachers will ask for "the prac on p161, Yr10" and I can get it all ready. Usually, if one class is doing the prac, all the classes will be doing it, so I just refill and refit tubs for the next lot. In my school junior classes get the teachers who do Science/PE or Science/Maths etc, so a fair bit of babysitting goes on. But thats OK, they ask me for ideas, and when I get input, then I get to moderate what goes on in junior classes.

The ONLY thing my teachers do by themselves is organics with Seniors. I have a chronic allergy to alcohol, so they have to do all their own pracs when they're using all the alcohols etc. If I inhale the fumes I get asthma and die. 8O

I'm with pkij, I consider myself a professional, and have lots of input. My HOD is straight from heaven, and we work very well together. So I guess I'm very lucky really. :thumbup:

Cheers, K 8-)
Sharls
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
School: Clarence Valley Anglican School
Suburb: Grafton

Post by Sharls »

I am really lucky. Our head science teacher set up an experiment request page on our school extranet site under science. The teachers have to have their requests in by Monday for that week but usually they are in a week in advance. It comes up on the web page as a monthly or weekly calander (which ever I choose) and all of the information is there including date, time, text page (if needed),equipment and the teacher that has put in the request. I am then informed via e-mail that a new request has come through. This way all pracs are set up on time and everyone knows what everyone else is doing. It helps to have computer savy people around.

Sharls \:D/
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Oh wow Sharls - that's just showing off! :thumbup: You win, I think.

Cheers, K 8-)
Sharls
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
School: Clarence Valley Anglican School
Suburb: Grafton

Post by Sharls »

Thanks Kristen, after reading the other posts I have realised how lucky I really am.
Sharls
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This may help
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: