Bacteria

and any other non-chem subjects.
General
State/Location: TAS

Bacteria

Post by General »

Hi,
I'm trying to find information on identifying bacteria by their colony phenotype but have had no luck. If anyone knows of any good books or websights I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Pat
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont

Re: Bacteria

Post by cactus155 »

you will not get too much of a response for a couple of weeks as I think some or most of the mainland is on School Holidays at the moment.
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

Hi, try using Google search typing "indentifying bacteria by colony phenotype"
When i tried it came up with at least 20 sites
Narelle
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ian »

I'm glad to see that I am not the ONLY labbie that has to work this week! (although it was nice to have last week off, with the kids!

My Bio teacher has a good little sheet that she uses. It identifies colonies according to shape of colony, colour, how flat/concave/convex the surface, etc. I will try and remember to ask her for it next week when she comes back!

Meanwhile, "The Laboratory - A Science Reference and Prep Manual for Schools" by Barbara Dungey. Page 155 has a similar bit, and page 167 has a bit on identifying by cell shape, etc

I hope this helps

Ian :-)
General

Post by General »

Thanks for the help. If I didn't work at a Catholic school I would call my copy of "The Laboratory" my bible.
Am also interested in the colony phenotype for specific bacteria such as E. coli and Staph. epi. We want the kids to try and identify them on the plate, then microscopically.

Pat
worktofish

Post by worktofish »

Identifying bacteria to this level based on colony morphology may be difficult. It may be worth considering using some selective media in conjunction with morphology to get to the level of identification you require.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi Pat,

here's a very late reply to your 2007 message!
I saw your post while looking for an answer to something else.......I put together a doc a few years ago to help the kids identify bacteria by phenotype, by taking photos of plates from one class & labelling the photos. I printed & laminated the pages & they go out with the prac so the kids can compare the photos with their plates.

Cheers,

Kiah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Kiah, WOW they are the best. Thank for sharing them with us. You did do well.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Thanks for the Pics they are great
Noona
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

These are fabulous, thanks so much for sharing! :clap3:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Thanks Kiah thats brilliant. Dont you just love this site :clap3: its great that people are willing to share the fruits of their hard work. \:D/
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thankyou Kiah - I already have this as a slideshow, downloaded from our wonderful chemtalk last year. Every teacher who's seen it has been most appreciative!
Good to have it as a pdf too, now. Many thanks
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
General

Post by General »

Kiah, you are a legend =D> . The pictures and the table are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks heaps.

Pat
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Hi Kiah
Those are brilliant! I feel I need to acknowledge you before using them - so how would you like your name etc to be recorded on the bottom of each slide?
Kathryn
labman

Post by labman »

Kiah,
You may remember me asking your permission earlier this year to post the slideshow on a "labbie website", and this was it, so many people already have it.
Now you're a "Chemtalker" too, I would like to thank you for the great resource, and everyone I have passed it on to has loved it. As Nickyw said, it's great that people are willing to share their projects.
Cheers,
Lisa
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi Lisa,

I vaguely remember sending the slideshow, but try asking me what I did last week let alone at the start of the year! :blush2: :crazy: :blush2:

I'm just happy it's something people can use. I tried to find microbiology resources without much luck, then a few years ago when one class produced those spectacularly contaminated plates (trust me, if you'd known the kids in that class it wouldn't have been a surprise.....we referred to them as 'the unwashed masses' in private :cheesy: ) I took the photos & did some labelling.
Desi, the president of our south australian lab manager's association helped me with the table of appearance/symptoms etc & that's what we ended up with.
Don't take the labelling as gospel by any means, it's mostly assumptions & a bit of guess work, but it gives the kids an idea of what they might be looking at, plus it's always fun to gross them out! :cheesy:

I love Chemtalk & I love the spirit of the networking & file sharing that happens here. It's a brilliant resource & I now log on pretty much daily to see what people are asking & answering, & I've used a tonne of info I've found here. Labbies rule! :wub:

Kiah
bindibadgi
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Many thanks, again Kiah, for this most excellent resource - but especially for your time and forethought in making it, and your willingness to share with the rest of us. It's worth repeating how appreciative the teachers who were able to put the show on smartboard were. Now my aim will be to do laminate your pics to send out with the prac for all classes.

Welcome to Chemtalk - can see you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us :coffee: :crazy:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
coxy

Post by coxy »

Kiah,
I also have downloaded the photos, and they are fantastic. Just what the doctor ordered - or maybe not. Great resource, and we are printing and laminating them as I type. Thank you so much for sharing them.
Sue
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hey Xenon,

The down load on this post is fantastic for looking at bacteria that has been grown in a school lab. Give this to your teacher.