disposal of broth after Pasteurs

and any other non-chem subjects.
mikah
State/Location: NSW

disposal of broth after Pasteurs

Post by mikah »

Ive been on leave from this position for a long time.
I don't remember how to do this. I cant find anything other than the sheet in the folder here that say go outside, pour it out away from yourself (to where is not specified), put flasks in hot soapy water.
Can anyone help me with how to dispose of all of this mouldy contaminated broth please
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: disposal of broth after Pasteurs

Post by Lyn »

Go to Science Assist. They have a document - Guidelines for best practice for Microbiology in Australian schools - with SOP's on handling a range of microbial growths etc. I have just had a quick browse through the document and it covers pretty much all that we have to deal with when students are doing these practicals. 140 pages of information with coloured pictures. Check it out.
mikah

Post by mikah »

thank you for the reply. I had a look through yesterday found the classifications it seems like it class 1, found the agar disposal but couldn't find the broth disposal, I have a few litres of it. it is a big document I'll keep reading
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

If the broth has been used, I just autoclave it. If I have spare broth that hasn't been used, I store it for the next one or just wash it down the drain.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

This is interesting
I have always just tipped it down the sink , basically because year after year nothing much grows .
Well this year I was busy and I put them aside then term holidays come and when I got back they were putrid .

As usual , I just tipped them down the sink . Several hours later , I was feeling Nauseous with stabbing gut pains and aching all over my body like I had the flue .Went home downed a pile of Vitamin C and woke up the next day good as gold .

Was it the stuff in the flasks ? I don't know . I do know I got a few good wiffs of it .

So next year I plan to open them under a bucket of bleach .I figure the should help
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Use to pour down the toilet.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: