and any other non-chem subjects.
annettegascoigne
Job Title: Lab Technician
Suburb: Forbes
State/Location: NSW

Physics prac - Parallel wire conductors

Post by annettegascoigne »

Hi,
There is a prac in the new Pearson Physics text for year 12 (prac 6.2) that does not specify what type of power supply is needed for the bundled cable. Is it a power pack or a battery pack? Any feedback for this prac would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Annette.
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Physics prac - Parallel wire conductors

Post by bigmack »

Hi Annette
LOL I've just been asked to sort this one too .( not Pearsons but the same thing)
After a bit of mucking about yesterday I found that if you use wire , it requires a lot of current , in excess of what our typical power supplies can supply before tripping out to get a visible deflection .....barely 0.5mm

I substituted the wire for two strips of alfoil about 500mm long and about 12mm wide spaced about 10mm apart , I could get attraction and deflection of around +/- 5mm on each foil strip using a power supply but it still tripped after a few seconds if left connected but long enough to clearly observe the effect .

Google shows folk using wires needing a Battery( small car or motorbike ) but be careful .....such high currents can quickly cause thinner wire to glow red hot and melt . Watch for burnt hands and benches .
annettegascoigne
Suburb: Forbes

Post by annettegascoigne »

Thank you!!
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

We use alfoil 250mm long, 12mm wide and 20mm apart attached to firm pieces of cardboard either end. Works well