and any other non-chem subjects.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle
State/Location: NSW

Peptone

Post by Lorikeet »

Can anyone help me - 2.5 years into my job I like to be reminded that there are still things to learn.

So we are running out of Peptone - the product I have have is Casein Trypsic Peptone (Tryptone) by Scharlau. So I went and ordered Peptone (Chemsupply).

HOwever I am unable to ascertain if they are one in the same product - I only use it for making Agar plates. There is no UN number on the Chemsupply one but there is on the SCharlau one (its also 7 years old)

Can anyone help and guide me ... Appreciate the assistance Kate
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Peptone

Post by Merilyn1 »

Pretty sure I had the Chemsupply one in the past and it (I think) it did what it was supposed to do.
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Re: Peptone

Post by shaz.H »

you can use any one from them (peptone, tryptone, tryptone peptone, trypticase, and trypticase peptone) as these all are partial digested proteins. They may be different in form and some of composition but they all are rich in simple proteins i.e. peptides (not complexed) as they are partial digested with enzymes.
Tryptone, tryptone peptone, trypticase, and trypticase peptone are the pancreatic digest of proteins (such as casein etc.) that do not completely break down the proteins into amino acids but into peptides and used commonly as several bacteria prefer peptides to amino acids.
Whereas, peptone is produced either from partial enzymatic digestion or partial acid hydrolysis.
In short, all these (peptone, tryptone, tryptone peptone, trypticase, and trypticase peptone) constituents acts a primary nitrogen source in enrichment growth medium.
:giggle: