Ozone Apparatus

and any other non-chem subjects.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Ozone Apparatus

Post by bigmack »

I spotted this mystery piece in the cupboard in the Physics Lab . It has plagued me for nearly 2 years . :crazy:
I have even seen one at another school and asked the seasoned Labbie if they knew.what it was [-o< ....."how should I know" :cheesy: ," the only bloke that probably knew died last year "
So I scoured the files and internet for any clues #-o
Ozone Generator.jpg
Top view.jpg
It has two electrodes .So it was obviously designed to be connected to a voltage source and seeing it looked all glassy and all I suppose is why it ended up in the physics lab .

During my "other , other " day job I came across a retired Physics teacher ....you beaut \:D/ .....so I showed him the pics on my phone

......"Naa been around for a long time but never seen one of those " #-o

So while thumbing through the CSIS manual for something completely irrelevant I spied this in the "gas generation section" under Ozone generation
S5_induc.jpg
And it dawned on me ....its a Bloody Ozone generator
So I slipped on my TV technicians Cap ( the one I wear on my other,other days where I have appreciation for High voltage and X-ray generation ) dragged the mystery apparatus out and connected it up to an induction coil and sure enough Ozone was wafting out the ends of the two glass tubes .

Now I know very well what Ozone smells like . As a youngster I used to work as a Projectionist and we had Xenon tube light sources ...that stuff stinks and attacks Rubber and lungs :whistling2:

So does anyone have one of these and a manual or any further info on it as our Chem teacher is curious
...And so am I ...why does one glass end have a "bulge " like you would expect to connect a rubber hose and why is the other end straight ?
Do you pump pure oxygen in the bulged end and ozone comes out the other ?

Am I completely off the track with this ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.