New safety directions with dissection gear

and any other non-chem subjects.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

New safety directions with dissection gear

Post by sunray18 »

From the conference with Phil Crisp, we learnt that we should disinfect all the equipment BEFORE we put it out into the class.
Are any of you doing that?
It is such a waste of time that I wonder if it is really a new regulation , or is just his own preference?
ANyone have any ideas about the correct way to do this?

Help please, as I dont want to waste time doing something that is not required.
{all our equipment goes through the dishwasher after use - surely this is enough?]
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: New safety directions with dissection gear

Post by Merilyn1 »

I don't remember them mentioning that at the conference - oops. At TAFE I was taught to disinfect, then wash the equipment. I'm not sure about disinfecting again before the prac. I guess you could email them to clarify? It wouldn't be a new regulation, just a different way of doing things. The decision would be yours - based on your own risk assessment - made easier with as much information and training as you can get. So, good idea to clarify the instructions from the training days. Please share with us if you do.
curie

Post by curie »

I don't see the point of disinfecting it BEFORE it goes out.
When it comes back, I remove the blades from the scalpels, and put everything through the dishwasher. 80 degrees for an hour. Then replace scalpel blades with new sterile ones. I used to wash everything by hand, and then soak it in alcohol and/or disinfectant, but that was before we got the dishwasher - it was taking to long and as they all had dissections at the same time, I was running around like a headless chook and didn't get time to eat or pee.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Curie - I do also - I agree with you - it is a total waste of energy as far as I can see.. so IF it is not a regulation OR what we HAVE to do then I dont want to do it at all
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have sent an email to Phil Crisp to ask him where i find the information/regulations that he spoke about at the conference. I have enough to do without this added silly extra - we did it for a week. we took them from dishwasher, sterilized them in disinfectant then packed them into freezer bags in kits, so they were ready to go out to class.. but what a tedious thing to do when you cant see any reason for it.. I have too much other things to do.. I want to know the exact regulation that requires us to do this before I carry on wasting my precious time
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

What would even be the point of disinfecting before the dissection!!! The stuff they are dissecting is not sterile! Waste of time!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Only thing I can think of is to minimize the risk of infection should a kid cut or stab themselves before they are presented with a tray of gore to cut up....gosh I wonder if the Metal work and woodwork rooms will have to sterilize the saws and chisels next #-o
karend

Post by karend »

R.I.P Common Sense!
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I just say ' its food grade, i bought it from a butcher, wash your hands when you finish" (they wear gloves). And I rinse and put everything thru the dishwasher. I WILL not hand wash scalpels - its an increase risk of injury!!!

We have enough to do without that extra step!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have made some inquiries and asked a few different 'experts' and also emailed the person involved.. They insist that we disinfect AFTER dissections and no gear goes out which is rusty or damaged..
Phil Crisp thinks that there was a miscommunication and that he doesn't recall stating that we had to do this extra step..
So -back to normal guys.. thank goodness... [no more comment form me]
we ARE going to put all our clean implements into a sealed container instead of back into the storage drawers - we have a massive cockroach issue here at the moment so I think that makes good sense..